Today Is Cooking Day

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Sjoerd, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We will make food for a coupla days.
    We still have some of our apples wrapped in paper and stored in the basement below...nice and cool, but not too cool. Say, “apples”...then that means apple crumble. Time for another crumble then.
    E22F39D8-3FAB-4929-BDCB-501FB39B88F5.jpeg g

To put on the crumble we will make vanilla vla. Vla is like a soft pudding that you can just pour. Actually, we will make dubbelvla—chocolate and vanilla. You can buy this stuff in the supermarkets, but cannot keep it too long after opening it.
    Klik on this link to see a container like we would buy in the supermarket:
    https://www.melkunie.nl/producten/dubbelvla-choco-vanille/

I am waffling. Sorry.

First we made the vanilla vla. Here it is cooling.
    2795F714-5989-4198-B072-3F6B72BE366B.jpeg

Then the chocolate. You sort of make it the same way, but add cacao and some bitter chocolate
    E5DF1D06-77E3-4544-8444-193DA4280FE5.jpeg

The finished product:
    0EDAD4AE-187F-4608-9182-EE196600BFA4.jpeg

We will store it like this in old Chinese food take-away rice containers.

All this was not without incident though. At one point while standing at the stove, warming up the milk, our attention was lost for literally a couple of seconds and the milk boiled over just a little. However, being right there the Bride lifted the pan right off the fire. While she moved to the right, I slid into the slot with a wet rag and cleaned the spillage before it could set. Whew! Close call.

With the second batch (the chocolate), the whisk was in the pan resting on the edge, but thst handle was too heavy and it flipped out and onto the floor didn’t it. We both pounced on this disaster and cleaned the mess on the floor and floor-mat, washed the whisk and continued. Words were uttered.
    You see my Bride says that she hates cooking as it is, and then this adversity. Oh dear.

Well, we got through it and it is ready for consumption. We will have plain vanilla vla on the crumble after supper tonight, but in the coming days we will have dubbelvla. Thst is vanilla and chovolate vla in the same bowl at once. YuMM.

But first, here is the matter of chilli. We still have to make that.
    A0070358-559F-4DD2-876D-BECA03967069.jpeg

What a day, I am filled with anticipation of all the wonderful flavours.

Frank, S-H and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That looks delicious!!!
    BTW I like the comment "words were uttered"!

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh, heh, heh...yeah. :eek: Blush.
    That’s what happens when there are too many irons in the fire I reckon.
    I quickly looked and saw that it is Thai. I ought to have known it, as I have eaten it often enough. Still though, I shall have to look into what is actually in it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Words were uttered means Texas English ! Daily event around here ! Are you making Texas red or chili ?? No beans in Texas red !

So you were making custard ? Just a thinner version of pudding ?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Speaking of apples,, found 5 huge Granny Smiths and a bunch of bananas on the mark down table couple of days ago ! Turned them in to 3 jars of apple butter, a loaf of banana bread, and a few eaten fresh ! Not bad for $2.00 !

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mart— we made chilli...you know, for that light and airy feeling.
    Yeah we made custard or pudding. The Bride and spent a long time debating the proper translation for the word “vla”. What we came up with was that vla was another of the words that we have, which has no exact english definition or counterpart. Well, it is a delicious thing to eat.
    BTW—the apple and banana score was a good one. Congrats. Ahhhh, the thought of banana bread. I like that.