Today's raspberries

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by whistler, Jul 8, 2011.

1. whistler

whistler Seedling

We had a couple of days of sun earlier this week and the raspberries are ripening. We had raspberries on our ice cream 2 days ago and I got some more today. So far my husband hasn't brought my dessert in to me....

[​IMG]
    Raspberries for dessert ( photo / image / picture from whistler's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Those looks beautiful. If I liked Raspberries I would probably say they looked delicious :rolleyes: ;) Looks like you are having a bumper year.
    Do you have any left over after dessert to freeze or make into jam?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

OO lovely. I find the fruit from my garden always tastes soooo much better than shop bought don't you?

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

those are yummy looking.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Those rasberries look good to me, Whistler. Do you do different things with your harvest?

7. whistler

whistler Seedling

The only thing I do with the harvest is eat them!

I've looked at Walmart for plastic jars so I can make raspberry preserves and freeze them but they only have glass jars. I'm going to try another store but I'm not holding out that I'll find them. If I get too many raspberries ripening at once I might put some into freezer bags.

8. Miss Liberty

Miss Liberty Seedling

Delicious looking. That's another plant that I'd like to get added to my yard.

9. calvinjane

calvinjane Seedling

Is there a reason you prefer plastic jars - I have used glass jars numerous times to freeze stuff in.

10. whistler

whistler Seedling

Calvinjane - all the recipes I've seen call for plastic jars. Tonight I was talking to a woman who comes from an old farming family and she says she freezes glass jars and even offered me some of her extras so maybe I'll go against the recipe and try the glass jars in the freezer instead.

11. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    My mouth is watering. Ours are a few weeks out yet so it is nice to be seeing what might be coming (if the dogs don't beat me to them.)

12. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yummmy! Whistler--I love berry season. Our Raspberries are just starting to ripen. When I looked out at the patch I couldn't believe my eye's. :eek:
    There was a bird eating them and it stood about 4ft. tall. I don't mind sharing with the little feathered friends. But this one is a turkey hen with 4 little ones and she is teaching to eat the berries. :'( Well I better get out there and pick what I can.
    I make freezer jam with my berries and put it in ziploc plastic containers or glass jars. Freezer jam is soooo easy. :-D

13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

They look very tasty,..i love Raspberries even better than Strawberries,..apart from the taste its the texture,..sort of fluffy soft like March mallows :rolleyes:

14. whistler

whistler Seedling

Tooty - a 4' bird!

Oddly enough the birds - and here I'm talking robins and swallows - are leaving the raspberries alone. My blueberries and strawberries have a net over them so they can't get into those.

My Dalmatian seems to like raspberries so I have to keep an eye on her.

Isn't it funny how raspberries ripen at different times in different regions? I'd have thought being north would have been slower. My raspberries are everbearing so I'll have them throughout the summer. So far we haven't done anything other than eat them as soon as they're picked. I'd like to make this raspberry ganache pie though. http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/r ... 06380.aspx

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Whistler, I use glass canning jars also. I have some of those plastic ones and they just don't hold up. If you squeeze them out of shape trying to open a stubborn one....You'll crack the jar part and then it's no good. Speaking from experience.