Tomatillo question

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by newgrow, Apr 8, 2010.

1. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

This is my first time growing them and was wandering is it better to use a trellis or to stake them up. I heard they can get about 6 feet tall. I have 4 of them now about 1 foot tall.

Thanks

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

So glad you asked this question !! This is my first attempt at tomatillos !!! I haven`t a clue how they grow !!

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

From what I have read they don't climb so a trellis won't work. Using a tomato cage will work or if you have room, let them sprawl along the ground, one of their common names in Ground Cherry. They do grow very well and will overpower slower growing plants so give them lots of space if you let them sprawl.

You need at least two plants since they are cross-polinators.
    And they do exceptionally well at attracting bees to the garden.

5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

we grow them each year, the green and the purple ones, and the pineapple tomatillo. the pineapple is a very low growing (short) bush plant with very small fruit, and very sweet.

the other two varieties have a thick main stem and tend to not fall over and straggle, but to stay upright, even with lots of fruit on them.

Advertisement
  6. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

Wow bunki and toni. Thanks! after reading I just ran out and put in a poll in between two of them about 6 foot tall and tied them up using stockings. Hope this will work :-?.

Bunkie. I did not know there were other types I have only had the green kind and I have only had it as Salsa verda. Can't wait to try new things :-D.

Toni- Thanks for the information about the cross pollination so it's a good thing I have four.Other wise I never would have know.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

This makes me want to grow tomatillos too now.

8. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

I grew tomatillos last year. I had two plants and I just let them sprawl.

The salsa I made was disappointing at first. Not the terrific stuff I was used to getting in restaurants. Then, I added some undiluted, orange juice concentrate and my salsa verde went from so-so to absolutely wonderful.

These plants didn't like our 100 degree heat. I think they'd benefit from some afternoon shade here in the desert. Cucumber beetles went after them too.

They were a little iffy for me. I've given the space to watermelons this year.