Tomato blues

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by gardenelf, Jul 27, 2011.

1. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

About a month ago my tomatoes were coming along nicely. I placed a couple of photo's here in "my garden", with the intention of adding some more later when they were ready to be picked.

Well, guess what? Today they look EXACTLY the same as they did last month, very (dark)green. Not even colouring slightly, no, just green. :(
    I've lost them to blight before, and to bugs, but never before to lack of summerweather. Weird! :eek:

On the bright side, there's ONE tiny tomato I managed to ripen off, but I hardly dare to eat it, it may turn out to be the only one this year! :stew1:
    Sorry to rant a bit, but this whole climate change thing is really getting to me now, or rather, to my tomatoes. Had to get this off my chest....

Is anyone else experiencing weird things with their veggies because of spooky weather?

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Yes. Ours aren't growing at all, bar the carrots. :( It's just too cold and wet out there. I hope you'll get a spot of sunshine so your tomatoes will ripen for you.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

My, how hot it is here. So hot the tomatoes weren't ripening at all in my hightunnel. Now that the outside tomatoes are starting....lo and behold the inside ones are starting to take off, too! they must know that they are losing the race now, considering how much longer they have been in the ground.

Really, I think the amount of cloudiness really made things SLOOOOOOOW to grow and mature. So, if it is wet and cloudy all the time, they are not getting enough light. :( and there simply is nothing anyone can do about that. Hopefully it will warm up and they ripen for you pretty quickly.

5. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

here our tom plants are remaining on the small side, but are producing lots of green toms....cept for the blue ones. :D our problem is the cold. nights and mornings have been in the 40's. i was reading earlier that toms have to have temps at 55 and above to produce and ripen. crossing fingers cause we still have the month of August left.

btw, corn's the same way, stunted yet tasseling?!

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Having too much hot weather has killed off a lot of veggie crops this year around here.

7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Wish I could send those of you who need warmer weather some, those who need rain a lot. I can imagine that all that heat in the south has done in a lot of crops. It's hard on everything.
    Here in Wis. our tomatoes are doing pretty good. We have 2 grape tomato plants and one big boy. They have some green tomato's on them. But now getting them to ripen is the trick. Our weather here in Wis. is finally back into the low 80's and less humid. So that will definitely help. We have also been getting some rain. But the bugs have been having a feast on the veggie leaves this summer. My plants look like they have snow on them seeing I have been using so much diatomacious earth on them. I'll get those little critters. :stew1:

8. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

Tomatoes here are doing okay. It got hot fast this year. So, pollination stopped for a time. But I'm starting so see new blossoms.

I've got barely enough in freezer to get us through for sauces and such this winter. I'm hoping we'll get some more tomatoes in August and September or I won't have enough to make my salsa this year.

My summer garden looks pretty good now. But it sure started slow.

9. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Wouldn't it be great if we could set up some kind of weather exchange? Trading excess heat for cool rain, or clouds for sunshine etc. :D

Yesterday I decided it was time I ate that one tiny ripe tomato I managed to ripen indoors.
    Well, it was soooooo nice, very sweet and no hard skin at all. Gone in a few seconds, but definitely the best ever. So even if none of the others make it this summer, I will be able to think back with a smile!
    :stew1:

10. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

If you have an abundance of green tomatoes , take a bagful off the plants and put an apple in the bag. within 2 to 3 days you will see them start to ripen.
    if you don't pick them your plants will start to shut down and stop producing.
    If you have the time before cold weather, break off a few branches , put them in water, (OUTSIDE) and you can do some replanting when they start producing roots. Plant them fairly deep and you may get another harvest.
    If you end up with too many green tomatoes, don't despair. Make green tomato relish. It is so good and very easy to cann

11. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Thanks for your advice, DMJ24, this gives me hope. I'll try the apple-in-the-bag thing straight away!
    Tomorrow I shall cut of a few branches & put them in water as you suggested. Luckily I still have a deep container and lots of potting compost to plant them in. (usually come end July both have all been used up)

Can't wait to finally see & taste my ripe tomatoes! As far as cold weather goes: although the weather-guru's don't predict any more real summer weather here, they've not mentioned anything about cold. The tomato cuttings should be okay.
    :stew1:

12. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Hurray, the tomato & apple-in-the-bag-trick works, they'll be ready to eat soon.
    I'm digging up all my tomato recipes now, because these beauties are destined for something special. Oh goodie, can't wait!! :-D :-D