Tomatoes are overgrowing my cages already

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Joelok, May 16, 2013.

1. Joelok

Joelok New Seed

Atleast this problem is not too bad. My tomato plants are over a foot taller than my cages i bought (overall they are over 4ft tall). I am not sure if i should trim the tops or support them the best i can. My main concern is it is only may and they are not showing any sign of slowing down.

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Its not unusual for some varieties to get that tall. Are yours hybrids ? I don`t stake or cage just for that reason. You can prune back the non producing limbs and all the suckers and that should help. You can root a few that you cut off for a later crop.

4. Joelok

Joelok New Seed

Do you think it would work to place another cage upsidedown ontop of the first cage. Since im using cone shapped ones im not sure if it will be worse for the plants

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Joe, I don't think you want to put another inverted cage on top of the first cage, unless you are pruning all the suckers off the main stem so you have a "main stem" system instead of a bush type plant. Put a tomato stake in the ground next to the stem and tie it to the stake if need be. that will probably be the best thing to do for a tall plant at this point. Next thing you know is the top will have fallen over and the tips start to bend back up and it is really too late to tie it up at that point. I think you can get the stakes at home depot or lowes and I am sure at any garden center. They are about 6' long, 2" square and pointed to pound into the ground or a fencing T post which would be available at any agricultural store and costs about $5.00 each. A bit costly, harder to pull, but last a lifetime.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Like Carolyn said the second cage would not be a good idea. The weight of the plant would not allow it to stand upright without secondary support !! T-post would work to just tie the top and hold it upright. I would do some pruning too. Pruning will also let the tomatoes get bigger. It will force the nutrients into the producing branches instead of feeding non producing limbs.

7. Joelok

Joelok New Seed

I apprechiate the advice. This is my garden as of two weeks ago. Its not the greatest in the way i set it up but i definately learnt a lot this year and am growing plants ive never grown before. Always exciting to watch everything grow! It is my second year gardening.