Tomatoes as a stress reliever!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by dooley, Jul 1, 2011.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

When I went a couple of weeks ago to have a biopsy the doctor was chattering away to distract my attention from what he was doing with that great sized needle. We talked about gardening and he asked what I was growing. I told him and added that I had picked a basket of tomatoes that morning. His answer, "Where's mine?"
    I answered, "Oops! I left them home on the table!"
    So, of course, when I went to the doctor yesterday I took him a dozen good sized tomatoes. When dr took them out of the tote bag and set them on the counter he started laughing. He looked in the bag and was commenting on the size and had one in his hand when the nurse returned. She started to look in the bag but he held up his hand and told her, "Keep back, these are mine!"
    After he finished his examine and discussion he left to see other patients and the nurse went to make an appointment for me to return. A few minutes later, he poked his head in the door and said, "Good, you are still here." He wanted to know how I got so many tomatoes from just 14 plants. What did I put on them? I told him nothing but water. He can't get his to set fruit. He used blossom set and whatever else people suggested but still has few tomatoes. So I told him about hand pollenating them with a Q-tip when the flowers were on the plants. I went from flower to flower to flower like a busy little bee. From each flower I have gotten a tomato. Over 250 to date. So, he was going to go home and hand pollenate his tomato blossoms.
    He did tell me that he would share his tomatoes with the girls.
    When I was checking out at the desk the receptionist told me they didn't care if he shared the tomatoes but he made a salsa to die for and he darn well better share that.
    We left laughing.
    dooley

Frank and cherylad like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

It's so nice that you have a doctor and staff that can take the time to talk on a personal level, and show you that they care about you. I think it will help you heal better!
    Hope you get salsa soon, (that does sound yummy)

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a delightful story. That doc isn't crazy--he knows when he's got a savvy gardner in the office. ;)

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Texas has some of the very nicest people that we've met. We knew that over the last couple of years but these past three weeks we've found it every where we went or had contact with people. Southern hospitality still exists.
    dooley

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a great story Dooley. I hope the doctor manages to get fruits from his plants now he knows what an expert does.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Dooley, that was such a nice story. It sounds like you have a gem for a doctor. You are fortunate.

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Wow... a doctor who still takes the time to talk to a patient... and not just about health issues. Sounds like you found the right medical facility!
    That was such a refreshing story. :stew1:
    Let us know if his salsa is any good!