Took some Irises for a ride

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by cherylad, Feb 7, 2015.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I was given one little clump of these a couple of years ago. They are really pretty. I wanted them to have something green out there all year and wanted some early blooms. Pretty yellow one's too. But they multiply like rabbits!
    So they were next on my "Work smarter not harder" list. So I made a phone call to my friend at the DUCK Farm (a bed & breakfast, retreat, learning & ecological center) which sits on 100 acres.
    She was happy to give them a new home!
    irses.jpg
    And this was just from one area in the back. Can you imagine the space I'll have now to plant something "tamer"? Adios Irises... enjoy your new home.

Sherry8 and donm like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Now that's what I call recycling!! I'm so glad your friend wanted your irises Cheryl. You must let us see what you decide to plant in the space taking them out has created.

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Your friend will have lots of color from that truck load. It is hard to take out the thugs in the garden, but so much fun having the space to rehab. Can't wait to what you do with the bed.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I did the very same thing last fall! The Iris's do TOO well here and so it had to be done. There is always someone who will take the extra plants :)

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yup I will be doing that again this spring. They are like weeds and really take over ones flower beds. Not sure if they will find new homes or not. It is so hard to just throw away ones kids.:oops:

7. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

It's funny how you plant them, think they are never going to grow and bloom, and all of a sudden you over whelmed with them. But I love them. They are one of my favorites.

8. cherylad

Jewell... they are definite "thugs" (I love that description of them) :)
    I like Irises, but the only one's that will continue to live are the old purple one's along the back of the house. They have been there for ages and keep to themselves.
    Now I need a few bags of soil to fill in that big hole that's left out there! Come on plant shopping season! :stew2:

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I had to get rid of a lot of mine because of iris rot...I will see this spring if the other ones I left in are healthy. I can never make up my mind which ones are my favorite because I like them all. I did buy more Japanese Iris when I found them on sale. It is always good to share what is in your garden...

10. cherylad

The DUCK Farm will take any and all throw-aways or extras I have. No matter what they are. Including seeds. They have the space and the desire to pretty up every nook and cranny.
    If anyone is interested in taking a peek at the place.... duckfarm.org

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I just peeked at the link...the place is gorgeous and it will look twice as nice with more flowers when they bloom...thanks for sharing the link.

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm afraid the heat and drought have almost finished off my purple Iris out back, not nearly as many stayed around this winter and there are no new ones showing up yet and they are normally much taller this time of the year.

13. cherylad

Mine are up and looking good. They usually don't bloom until April and May. Who knows with this year's mild winter?

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, I sure wish you had driven past here with that load of iris! I am iris-less, and I do miss them. I'm making do with the paperwhites that are beginning to bloom now.

15. cherylad

I'm pretty sure I have some in a pot. They're yours if you want them. Of it a straggler pops up I'd be happy to dig it up. Oh wait... I know where some more are... I tossed them out by the fence. I can certainly send them. But don't say you weren't warned!:eek:

16. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh Cheryl, that isn't a warning, it's a wonderful gift! At least let me pay postage. I've missed my iris so much, but just had so many other plants/trees/equipment to get that iris were low on the list (unless I hit the lottery, and if so, watch out every nursery in Texas!).
    What can I do for you?