Tour of my veggie garden with pictures

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by AAnightowl, Jul 19, 2014.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Not everything in my veggie garden is strictly a "vegetable", but they will be in my tour anyway.

[​IMG]
    L, tub: pink cosmos; M tub: rosemary and thyme ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    canna lilies ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    "horsemint" /bergamot/bee balm/whatever ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    freebies in the compost pile ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    close up of my cukes and maters and peppers ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    some of my raised beds ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    pretty weeds in the onion patch ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    buttercup squash plants ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

[​IMG]
    grand daughter's garden ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

The tubs are on the right as you enter my veggie garden. I heard that the herbs would discourage harmful insects? I sure hope so! I know the marigolds will.

And the zinnias attract birds and butterflies. Maybe the birds will eat all the bad bugs?

My garden is still "under construction". About 5 or 6 years ago, this area was 7 foot deep in weeds. It had been my veggie garden years before, but no raised beds or nothing. I wanted to reclaim it, and make raised beds. The soil here is rocky red clay, so it is taking lots and lots of amendments, and still needs more. And there are still lots of weeds to keep pulled. And grass to mow. Over by the onion beds, I was not thinking the day I put the raised beds there, and did not leave enough room for my mower to get through between them. Dumb.

One of these days, I want to put a greenhouse in front of where the horsemint or whatever it is, so there is black plastic there to keep the weeds from taking over that spot. I have a few spare pallets laying around waiting for an idea.

Next is my compost pile, and I have some freebie melons or squash there this year. I cant wait to find out what they are. I hope that tater plant does well too. When fall comes, all of that good compost will be shared around my raised beds. Or should I do it now?

In the middle I have tomatoes and cukes, and peppers, and zinnias and marigolds and some oregano in a corner. I didn't know where else to go with it. My blue butterfly peas are on the crib/trellises toward the back, and about a foot tall now. There are a couple of sunflowers sprouted on each end. In the far right corner are my watermelons and zinnias. Closer up, I have some potatoes and more zinnias on the right. You cant see them too well, I have to retake the close ups of those beds. I have a dogwood tree behind my granddaughter's garden.

Those pretty wildflowers/weeds have red centers, not brown or black. They are not black eyed susans. Maybe a wild coreopsis?

The buttercup squash plants complete the circle of my veggie garden. It is nothing fancy yet, but considering how much work I have put in out there, it is doing pretty good. Things will look better as my soil improves.

Guess I will post flower garden pics elsewhere on here. Later. I am headed for bed.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Looks like all of your hard work is starting to pay off. You'll have fresh veggies all over the place soon.
    Congrats!

Growingpains likes this.
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I forgot to mention that in the close up of my tomatoes and peppers, my berry patch is to the left. I have black raspberries and strawberries in there.

Advertisement
  6. growergirl

growergirl New Seed

Thanks for the tour AAnightowl!
    I love how you've mixed elements. The veggies, herbs, and flowers.
    I wonder if you have the problem I do with container plants drying out super fast in the heat of summer?

Growingpains likes this.
  7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Hi Growergirl. Welcome here! Some things you can do about that:

1. water them daily.

2. I use rotten leaves in the bottom halves of my tubs and containers, and they keep water longer.

3. There are some kind of pellets you can add to the soil which also hold water longer. You can get them in stores, but I don't remember the name of them.

4. You can use those coconut fiber things as a mulch on top, and your containers will stay watered longer. Your plants can grow through them nicely.

Those are the ideas I have.

Frank and growergirl like this.