Transplanted roses

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by ShawnP, May 18, 2009.

1. ShawnP

ShawnP New Seed

Total rookie with roses seeking any advice. I recently transplanted about 10 roses from different spots in my yard to a designated rose garden that i built. When i filled it , I added plenty of peat moss, organic hummus/manure, top soil and some well sifted dirt from the yard. The roses havent gotten much attention for a few years. After i transplanted them i trimmed them of most of the dead stems. 24 hours later i found almost all the stems drooping . What can i do to save them ?

2. Loading...

3. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

The plants are probably in shock. Keep and eye on them, give them plenty of water and they should be okay. You could actually cut them all the way back to the ground. The first year or 2 after being transplanted all that will happen is the plant is going to make a great root system. The second year you may see green appear above the ground.

Don't worry if you don't see anything grow above ground this year. They are working below ground.

I transplanted a 50 year rose bush 3 summers ago. The first summer all it did was look dead. The second grew lots of green above the ground and the 3rd year I got 3 roses.

Patience is what is need at this.

Good luck! :stew1:

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I agree. It sounds like you prepared the are well so keep them watered and they should be fine.