Transplanting an American Cranberry Viburnum

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Kay, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

The time is finally near when I get to my spring gardening to do list.
    I have a American Cranberry Viburnum that is about 8 years old that I want to transplant to a different spot.
    It is 4 ft. tall, and about 3ft. wide.
    I'm thinking of pruning it back in height by about half at the time I dig it up. I think it would be easier to handle, and it would settle into it's new spot easier. Pruning stimulates growth, right?
    I am in zone 5, and winter is still lingering with it's cold over night lows, and unpredictable chilly weather. Not much has come out of dormancy yet here ( late this year) I probably won't dig it up for another few weeks.

So, I'm asking opinions as to whether you think the pruning would be a good idea. It is a healthy shrub, and has always been fine with pruning to shape it.

Frustratingly - I can't upload an image because an error message tells me they are too large and I can't re size.

Should i prune it? Thanks for thoughts and ideas for me!

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yes, prune it. it needs to re-establish its root system and the smaller the plant the less it needs to compensate.

Sjoerd and Kay like this.
  4. Kay

Thanks for the yes vote Carolyn.
    This is a method I know I have heard over the years.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I agree ... prune it. Make's it easier to work with as well.

Kay likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Kay

Thanks Netty ! I’d be out digging if there weren’t a wintery mixed precipitation in the forecast.
    Patience of a gardener!

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Kay, I just did a quick survey on google re moving a viburnum & the consensus seemed to be that they are easy plants to move. One person said the more time between transplanting & when the tree leafs out, the better. That makes sense, doesn't it? And, I agree, pruning it will give it a better chance.

Good luck with the project! I have moved all kinds of small trees & shrubs & have always had good luck. Obviously be sure to water it through the spring & summer.

Sjoerd and Kay like this.
  8. Kay

Thanks Cayuga! Appreciate your reply.
    Spring is coming around so slow this year. I took advantage of one nice warm day this week to give the shrub a trim. Cut it down about half!
    I didn’t quite get the new hole dug, and now the weather has turned cool and wet; so I’ll be delaying the dig up and move. The plant’s buds were barely swollen, so I think I’ll have time to get this project done before it leafs out.
    I’m so anxious for plants to get on with the season! My Forsythia has yet to bloom! Quite late!
    Thanks again

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya Kay,
    I do not know if the american cranberry viburnum has special treatment necessary or not...but i agree with Cayu and Carolyn about transplanting it. Most of the translating that I have done was in oct-nov, but march is the other ideal time to move a tree,shrub or perennial.
    Not much that I can add except to say that use of a micorrhizal fungi powder or pellets applied directly to the roots and in the hole. It ought to give your plant a better chance.

Fingers crossed for you, pal.

Cayuga Morning and Kay like this.
  10. Kay

Thanks Sjoerd, certainly appreciate your input.
    I don’t know about microrrhizal fungi powder! I’ll do some research on it.
    Thanks!

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Please do that Kay....it is a very important "helper", and especially for someone in your line of work. I use it when I transplant my fruit trees because they are so dear to me.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I just saw some yesterday and bought it. it is made by soil moist. you make a slurry out of it and dip the roots, but I think you could not mix up the whole packet... that seems a bit wasteful to me. it is supposed to do 300 seedlings, but it is that hydro gel stuff... very gloppy and thick. it rinses the potting mix right off the roots.... I am undecided about it yet. maybe if I was using it right in the garden it would be better.... I think you could even dust it right on and then water it in a bit after you have backfilled the plant.if you haven't moved it yet.

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey Carolyn--I just sprinkle the powder directly onto the roots then plonk the plant right into the hole, and then backfill. I am like you and feel that making a slurry would be wasteful...and I am not sure what tap water would do to the fungi...it does have a lot of chlorine in it y'know.
    Further, I plan on using it on my toms, and other crops this season as a lil test.

Cayuga Morning likes this.