Transplanting small plants to our new property...

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sherry8, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

We will be able to get into our new home that should be started in early May around Sept. 1. We have a small area in the right corner of the lot which needs a lot of work because of dead trees, huge branches down in the water, etc. you can sure tell this area has been neglected for over 25 years. But I needed an area to so I could take some of my plants...so far I have taken some ditch lilies and bleeding heart plants. I am hoping the frost will not be too hard on them that we are having. I have plans to take more daylilies ... The only thing that might slow us down will be the DNR if they won't let us remove some of the trees that have fallen in the water through the years...we do plan on leaving some of them because the ducks seem to like that area. My dogs will keep them from coming into the yard, they may be small but they can be noisy when they want.

2ofus, Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. 2ofus
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. stratsmom
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You must be itching to get into your new house. Moving the plants may help that feeling.
    I can imagine that you may wish to leave some of the fallen trees in the water, but surely you will not have to leave them all.

Have you already dug your new beds for the smaller plants that you plan to transfer?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

No...way too early to make a flower bed...just sticking them in the ground way up in the corner of the property wherever I can find room. I am undecided how I can bring more when I run out of room there...I have never planted daylilies in containers but that is what I might have to do. They will never miss the ones here because I have so many of them...I really want to take my favorites but with our weather will I have time to get them in the ground before our weather gets cold??? Plus if I take the containers there will they be taken when we aren't at the property? We had a little problem of someone dumping ashes where I am transplanting things so we put up a sign no trespassing or dumping. Plus fetching water from the lake might be a little tiring.. not sure what to do. any suggestions?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I took 3 more daylilies today...the next time I will take my 2 small butterfly bushes I just bought. I have seen a couple butterflies already so I am hoping they return every year.
    ...My husband just shakes his head...his version of not as much gardening is different than mine...How can I give up something completely that I love to do as long as I can still do it?

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Good reading...thanks for posting the information

Philip Nulty and purpleinopp like this.
  8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

We are having quite a bit of rain and more coming so I have to wait and I will dig the ditch lilies out. The other type of daylilies will be brought up to around my house after it is finished. I thought it would look so beautiful.

purpleinopp...is there anything I can plant there? Besides weeds we have a lot of mud that is why I thought of the ditch lilies. I would think trillium might not be a good idea either. Not sure if the grass we had planted died back because of the neighbor dumping ashes on our property or what. You can buy trillium from nurseries now. I would think any of the grasses would be invasive. Maybe we could bring in that little stone so it wouldn't be muddy and easy to walk on. This area is the only shade we have besides a couple small trees in the front of the water so we will be using it along with the dogs so we don't get sun burned all the time.

purpleinopp and Philip Nulty like this.
  9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

We are getting a lot of rain so it looks like I will have to wait until after the rain and when it dries up. Quite wet everywhere.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

No doubt "ditch liles" are beautiful, it's part of how they get around. I did live in Z5 before, in central OH. IDK if that qualifies me to suggest anything for your location. Are you able to add some pics of the area? I'm not sure I understand your goals?

11. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

@Sherry8, Did you get all the plants transferred?

12. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sherry over here in Scotland we have flag iris in our bog garden. They seem to enjoy the muddy conditions and thrive on them.

13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

My daylilies made it through our very wet spring...some don't look like they should but the plants look fine. I did loose the 2 hibiscus bushes and my little bang coreopsis . I had misplaced my planting guide so I had to just plant things where I wanted them. The area this spring was flooded, we dug them out when the water started to go down. I felt like a little kid again making mud pies. We were about 5 inches above our 100 year food line. If we would have built this spring we would have to be 5 inches higher than we are.

....all plants that I could save are transfered....

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018