Tree planting and hole depth

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by RJ, May 18, 2011.

1. RJ

RJ New Seed

Japanese maple, Mock orange, arborvitaes, etc. I've planted a lot of trees and evergreens. The general rule of thumb is dig a hole 2x the size of the pot. I've found the best growth potential is 3x round and 4x deep. I bet you might think this is excessive but it will give your trees growth and health beyond expectations. Now what do you use for soil medium. I found a 50/50 mix of composted cow manure and good black top soil is good for all plantings. I also place about a foot of peat moss at the bottom (allows for some Drainage). I fill the hole 1/2 way with the mix and then pack it down very good. This will prevent excessive sinking since the soil around roots should be only lightly packed. Also with the hole filled and packed 1/2 way I pour a fertilizer solution in. A 19-19-19 or Miracle grow 1 table spoon per gallon. This will be easier than trying to hydrate the Soil all at once. After the water settles you begin filling to the correct level for your tree to go in. You need to allow for some settling so set the tree a little higher than level. If your tree is root bound I would also recommend using a knife and making an X cut at the base of the root ball. This is Beneficial to promote new root development. finally place the tree and pack the soil around very well with a little extra to allow for settling. Hydrate with the same solution of fertilizer so the roots get some quick feeding. For acid loving plants or evergreens use a fertilizer based for the trees requirements. Give the ground a couple days to settle add more soil if necessary then a bag of mulch will keep the ground cool and moist for the roots. Sound excessive well maybe but this gives the roots a place to fire right down into deep good soil that has fertilizer. I've used this method for years and I don't recall any loss. The root growth will be much faster and will build a stronger, healthier, and faster growing tree. :D

eileen and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks for posting this information RJ. I'm sure many of our members will find it invaluable.