Trees from seed — getting past a few inches

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Emduff, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Emduff

Emduff New Seed

Hi there. i have been trying to grow several types of trees from seed (primarily for bonsai). I follow the instructions carefully, the seeds germinate and sprout to 2-3 inches but they don’t get any taller. Eventually (after 6 weeks or so) the stems start to turn yellow and die. Do I need to fertilize to make it past this point? What am I doing wrong to always get stuck here? Thank in advance.

2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I’m no expert on bonsai but have a few both inside and outside. A lot depends on the type of plant. Consistent water and sun light based on the specific plants needs is required for both inside and outside. It is also helpful to know that most bonsai are started from already propagated plants. They are trimmed and shaped as already well established plants. Good luck.

just a note: I have attempted to keep a variety of plants and tree types small to fit into my confined spaces. Some naturally favor the clipping and trimming. Others are forever unruly and are not worth the effort. I always start with a container bigger than the plant will end up in until well established.

Cayuga Morning and Emduff like this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

ya, this is an art and I am not much help. sorry, I have no idea what you are trying to grow what you are using as a soil to grow or the environment you are growing it in but trying to mimic nature, that is very difficult. my guess is you are over watering trying to help it along. I am just guessing. extra water is not helpful. maybe look for a bonsai forum or check on youtube if you haven't yet. it is a form of gardening but very specialized in my opinion. I have never tried it as it looks too time consuming to me nor does it fit my need for "growing something".

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Some trees just do not work for bonsai !