TREES of The Island Oasis

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by blissful photons, Apr 12, 2012.

1. blissful photons

blissful photons In Flower

I love trees. But not all trees. If I had Sapium sebiferum here, they would be cut out. I have 2 mature camphor trees, and they are beautiful but messy. 1 Quercus virginiana, some Quercus nigra, 3 crepe myrtle: I also consider the trees adjacent to my property part of my tree inventory, as they are intergrated into the gardens. Let's take a tour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camphor tree

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Live Oak

[​IMG]

Magnolia grandiflora

[​IMG]

Pecan

[​IMG]

This water oak is probably only 30 - 35 yrs. old, and is perfectly shaped to eventually become a magnificent specimen.

[​IMG]

same as above

[​IMG]

massive Quercus nigra

[​IMG]

ditto

[​IMG]

This water oak grew up into the large water oak and has no crown. The branches turn horizontal over my patio, and with another oak, have formed an incredible mess of branches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crepe Myrtle

[​IMG]

Cherrybark Oak

[​IMG]

grove of Camphor Tree

[​IMG]

Loquat

Look at my beautiful Pecan with the Parthenocissus quinquifolia (Virginia creeper). Take a look at the crown...not. It is believed fracturing in the trunk from Hurricane Rita killed it. No signs of borers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had thought of planting a flowering vine on the stump, but it will be too difficult to eradicate the virginia creeper, and the fruit too valuable for my resident mockingbirds.

And check out this Ulmus alata (winged elm) I planted 25 yrs. ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"He felt safe in the oak tree's presence; it was a thing that nothing could change or threaten; it was his greatest symbol of strength."

Eddie Willer's thoughts/Atlas Shrugged(1957)

stratsmom likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. S-H
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Very impressive and beautiful. I just love to see these kind of things.

Barb in Pa.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Many thanks for the tour. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the trees you have in your garden. :-D

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Bliss... since we aren't that far away from each other, I think we share some of the same types of trees. We have 3 huge Camphor trees... and I love them because they provide shade year 'round. When we run out of mosquito spray (which is hardly ever), we crumple up some of the leaves and rub them on our arms and legs. Then there's those messy Sycamores. Beautiful... but oh the leaves!
    And there's that one Sassafras tree that is bound and determined to turn into a zillion of them!
    Our pecan trees produced alot of small nuts last year... and I mean ALOT! We're still enjoying some for snacks.
    Ooopps... I've starting babbling again! :oops:
    Nice photos of your trees!

Advertisement
  6. blissful photons

blissful photons In Flower

Sassafras albidum and Platanus occidentalis

Sassafras is way up there in my favorite tree list. Sycamore is a love/hate affair. I planted a sycamore in one of my first gardens about 30 yrs. ago, and it's well on its way to stardom. That bark! Just don't get me started on those leaves.

I've tried planting sassafras from containers and haven't had success. And the one I had on my other property where Tabula Rasa will be, had to be cut out. So I'll probably die sassafrasless.

I've been through Liberty County 1000's of times on my way to that out of control city of Houston. Ain't that place something else. I'm soon to be back to visit the Cactus King, and check out the new and improved Katy Freeway.

My pecans don't produce. My neighbors do. And they all appear to be part of the same plantings.

And about the great state of Texas. You do know it should be divided up into at least 3 different states. lol.

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I could try and get you a good seedling from the Sassafras tree if you'd like. There's one that about a foot tall that's due to be pulled up this weekend.

If you've traveled Hwy 90 into Houston... you've been just about 2 miles from my house. I do NOT go into Houston... I really dislike big cities and the traffic scares me to death!

Wonder what's up with your pecan trees? Have you given them some fertilizer? My brother fed our's last year (the first time ever) and it made a big difference.

And you're just about right about Texas.... but I think it should be at least 4 different states! :D

8. Carol Blue-Garcia

Carol Blue-Garcia Seedling

Those are beautiful trees.

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Looks like a beautiful setting :-D