Trimming the cedar tree

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by whistler, May 14, 2011.

1. whistler

whistler Seedling

We're working at getting the back yard under control this year. We've started trimming some trees to get more light into areas, including really trimming back the next door neighbor's tree's branches that were choking off our rhododendron. We still have a lot more trimming to do around the fence line, both their trees and ours to bring more light into the area.

My husband went up the ladder with a saw to trim branches on the big cedar tree in the middle of the yard. Mostly dead branches and the ones that slap us in the face when we're mowing the lawn. Got about half done last night and we probably have 3 truckloads of debris to haul away. Fortunately we have a friend who lets us dump garden debris in an unused field. We're only trimming about 20 feet up. Tree is about 100 feet high. Can't get it all in one shot!

[​IMG]
    Trimming the big cedar tree in back yard ( photo / image / picture from whistler's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Look up way up ( photo / image / picture from whistler's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Wow Whistler! That is a gorgeous TALL tree! Even though I can see why you'd want/need to do a bit of trimming, I'd almost be crying having to cut any of it off.
    Do you have plans already for your new sunnier spot?

4. whistler

whistler Seedling

Where we live there are laws protecting the trees. We can only chop if they are sick and dying and a risk to property or persons. Needs an arborist's report and the city will have their arborist double check before the owner can buy a permit. Likewise you are not allowed to trim or do anything to a tree that could cause its early demise. I hate cutting down trees for any reason and since we've moved in we've planted a monkey puzzle tree, 3 apple trees, a cherry tree, and 2 pear trees. Still have plans for a plum and peach tree when we get the side yard under control.

This cedar is actually a twin. There are 2 trees growing out of one stump. It is beautiful and this is the first time since we moved in 4 years ago that we've trimmed it. There is a patio under the tree. I used to have a porch swing there. Now we have the dog's wading pool set up there in the summer. Might put a couple of chairs there. We usually use our sundeck for sitting outside and eating on summer days.