Trip to Longwood Gardens, Kennet Squ, PA

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Cayuga Morning, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I recently retired, and to celebrate my husband and I went on a garden tour to Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania.

It is early to mid spring here now. Here are some photos: IMG_20190427_130633.jpg
    Red bud with yellow foliage against blue sky
    IMG_20190427_125315.jpg
    IMG_20190427_125233.jpg
    IMG_20190427_125034.jpg

IMG_20190427_124848.jpg
    I have bamboo growing at home. I might try this fencing system.
    IMG_20190427_124901.jpg

What do you think of that use of bamboo?
    IMG_20190427_122806.jpg

Wall of greenery...?? over 100 feet long with bathrooms between.
    IMG_20190427_110734.jpg
    Beautiful stately trees
    IMG_20190427_110538.jpg
    Alley of snapdragons & daffodils .

There was lots & lots more but I was too busy ogling to take more photos!!

BTW, the guy in the blue fleece in the 3rd picture is my husband. Cute, isn't he?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well your photographs went a long way to cheering me up that's for sure. :) We're having hail and heavy rain here so it's good to see spring in Pennsylvania with all those beautiful flowers, plants and trees. I really like the way the bamboo has been used - very decorative - it's given me a few ideas.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

wow! they are so far ahead of us here and I live within an hour of the western border of PA. I love the wall of green and the bamboo... well it looks like a pumpkin. not sure if I like it or not. maybe they will have a vining plant growing up the bamboo at some point? the place looks fantastic from what we can see. thanks for sharing.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Super foto's of a beautiful garden. I know this place and always find looking at pictures taken so interesting to see. You had a good trip there, didn't you. The tulips looked especially nice, didn't they.
    You shall have to return at other times of the year...like July for instance.

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have always enjoyed going to our botanical gardens in Green Bay, Wi. they are gorgeous...

your photos are gorgeous and the man in the blue is a keeper...(we don't want him to get a big head now with all of the ladies admiring him) I miss having tulips here but we have too many little critters and deer and I think I would be fighting a never ending battle. Something has been nibbling on my daylilies at night ...they are almost finished blooming in about a week or two so I won't worry about it this year...

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Is that the garden with the giant lillypads from southeast Asia? They have inky black water in full sunlight with no algae. They have a non-toxic dye that makes the water black but does not effect the plants. Fantastic garden. Exciting flowers and exotic plants. Thank you for the pictures.

Jerry