Tropical garden in NY

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by flowie, Jul 13, 2006.

1. flowie

flowie Seedling

ok heres some pics of some tropical stuff in my backyard in NY....

palms tiki and other tropicals

[​IMG]

another section with assorted palms, banana plant and bamboo

[​IMG]

one of the palm trees close up

[​IMG]

from the deck

[​IMG]

Hibicus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

trumpet flowers. these smell wonderful!
    [​IMG]

canna and.. um... i forgot what the rainbow plant is called.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

One word, tropical :D I see what you were talking about now Flowie lol. Why the fixation with all things tropical?

Aloha! I need a cocktail.

4. flowie

flowie Seedling

its mostly my husband he loves the tropical plants. he wants to live in Florida but i dont want to go. so hes bringing Florida here.. LOL
    Im the flower nut.. hes the tropical foliage nut!

5. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Really cool, it makes me think of walking barefoot in the sand. Does all of this overwinter or do you have to put it inside.

Advertisement
  6. flowie

flowie Seedling

no.. all this stuff goes into a collapsable greenhouse we have.. all but the big palm trees. they go to different nurseries and arboridums in the area. some of the smaller plants are pot planted so its easy....
    its a pain for the big stuff but i guess thats what you have to pay for when you try to make stuff grow where its not supposed to.. most of it has to go back in in Oct.

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Thats a Dream Garden .I do love all of it and Pinkey red will too .Jubabe it is an oasis .It is to fabulous for words.What comes to mind is Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors tropical garden .DROOOOOOOL

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Flowie,
    that garden is beautiful. I lived in south Florida almost 40 years ago and saw several yards like that, hard to believe that yours is in NY.

BTW, that rainbow plant is a Croton. Be careful rubbing against it, there is something in the leaves that will cause a stain on clothing.

Toni

9. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

8) That is amazing to have Fl in NY. I lived in NY for 6 years, 13 in NJ. :eek: I'v never heard of a place to take your plants to in the winter. The palms you have look like X-mas palms. I have 2 next to my house. They don't grow tall. A lot of Florida residents have the large palms cut down and pulled out because they get so big. Those are hard to keep cut back. Great looking yard :!:

10. flowie

flowie Seedling

Thanks guys.. yeah thats what most people say when they see the pics "OMGD thats NY!" its alot of work but we enjoy doing it.
    were actually friends with alot of people in the industry. I work for a large nursery here on Long Island and we have a friend who manages an Arboredum... and then some other trees go to a college that has a horticulture program so they use the trees to teach the students...those i didnt post on here (yet) those are in the front of the house. Canary Island Date Palms. were lucky we have somewhere to put them in the wintertime.
    yes those are xmas palms. those are my favorite :-D

CROTON thats it! ooh.. ill be careful of the croton. Thanks Toni!

11. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I LOVE it!! I love tropicals! I have tons of tropical plants. Three types of banana trees, lots of different kinds of elephant ears, a palm tree (isnt doing very well this year), some fountain grass, a baby Royal Poinciana tree, a white yucca....I think thats it...LOL OH! A fern tree!!! You want tropical get a fern tree!! It will have to be stored too cuz it doesnt like the cold. Ive been looking at black and rainbow (think its called) bamboo. WOW! They want alot of money for them! So Im putting it off!

One of my plans is to have one area in my yard that just mine. Its going to be nothing but tropicals. When it grows in, Im going to put a hammock in and it will be my little get away! Im from FL born and raised and it will be like home....almost..

12. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Everything looks great. 8)

13. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Oh wow, that's wonderful! Certainly not what we usually see coming from NY. You must have a nice little heater for your greenhouse to winter these over, some of them are quite tender. Beautiful!

14. flowie

flowie Seedling

Thats awesome. I do have a fern as well. thats planted on the other side of the house in the other tropical area... the pics i posted are only of the backyard. :D i still have the side and front to post.. sick i know.. but the fren is pot planted and it seems to be VERY happy where it is.. ill post a pic of that area as well. :D

15. flowie

flowie Seedling

yes in the winter the smaller ones go into a portable greenhouse we put up in the yard. between the heat of the sun and two space heaters the thing gets to be 100 degrees sometimes in the middle of February :eek: . the bigger palms go to nursuries though. they just wont fit :D

16. flowie

flowie Seedling

heres the side of the house

[​IMG]

and one of the palms in the front. we have two.

[​IMG]