trying to get hold of Black Carrot seeds for West Australia

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by debbieteale, May 24, 2012.

1. debbieteale

debbieteale Seedling

Hello all.

I'm trying to locate black carrot seeds, however I've run a blank within Australia. Does anyone out there have experience with these very dark purple carrots, I believe they when young have a small white core, which darkens up at maturity.

I'd love to hear how you got hold of seeds, and whether I could import some to Australia.

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

HI Debbie, We have a variety called Purple Haze here. Rather expensive, but a very good carrot. I looked in my Stokes catalog and they were $6.23 for 1,000 seeds, which is really not a lot of seeds. I ordered mine through www.stokeseeds.com , you can check there to see of that is what you are looking for. I don't have any idea if they can be sent to you from here, though. Maybe if the package is sealed and not tampered with in any way? I don't know. Can carrot seeds be mailed to you?

4. debbieteale

debbieteale Seedling

Thanks Carolyn, I have some purple haze seeds already, however I'm looking for a non hybrid so I can save seed for future years. Also the black carrot is completely black/purple without the orange centre. I'm not sure how easy it is to have it posted. No answer from quarantine.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I hope you'll find your seeds somewhere close to home. I live in Norway and it's hard to get plants through customs here. They demand health certificates and what-not, but seeds are OK, as long as they're not labelled Cannabis or Opium poppy. :D Papaver somniferum on the other hand passes right through. :D

Advertisement
  6. debbieteale

debbieteale Seedling

Hi Droopy,

I have found out from our quarantine people that as long as it is on the list of acceptable seeds, and under 10KG, then clearly labelled with Genus and Species, it's ok!

I may have a lead from a seedsavers website I just found, with a guy who is getting his from Kurdistan.

Here's hoping!

7. debbieteale

debbieteale Seedling

Yay! Found some on "Bonanza" and, believe it or not, Ebay international.

I'll let you know how they go.

Cheers,
    Deb

Droopy likes this.
  8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cool for you! I didn't know there was a non hybrid of them. Glad you found what you were looking for and I am interested to see them, how they taste and if they do well. Keep us posted. I am always in the market for "new" unusual seeds and plants. Last year Sjoerd showed us his blokkenchstocker(sp?) peas and I found them on, I think, seed savers exchange and got me some this year. Oh my are they BEAUTIFUL so far. I can't wait to see the pods.

9. debbieteale

debbieteale Seedling

You'll never guess! I went grocery shopping today, and there they were, large as life, in the veggie section of Coles! Grown in Tasmania!

No idea if they are heirloom or hybrid, but they were deep purple right through to the core. I cooked them as i usually do, in the steamer over the potatoes. I had no idea we would end up with purple mashed potatoes!
    They tasted exactly the same as orange carrots, both raw and steamed.

I did glean a tip from the seedsavers website:
    Cut below the crown about one and a half centimeters, and replant it. (eat the rest)
    It will grow very fine roots, and bolt straight to seed. I'll let you all know next year whether it was an heirloom or not. In the meantime, I've 6 packets of the seed coming from 2 different suppliers in Turkey!

Can't wait!

10. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

Congrats! You've solved your problem and then some. Thanks for the reminder too about mkt carrots and getting seed from them. I knew about it but had forgotten.