Tuscan Rub

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by marlingardener, Aug 18, 2020.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

For those of us with too much rosemary, too much sage, there is hope! I just made some Tuscan Rub, which is an ingredient in marinades for chicken and pork, and also a rub for grilled chicken, pork, beef. The rub uses rosemary, sage, garlic, and coarse salt ground fine. Then it is dried until crisp and crumbly, and stored in a glass jar.
    Mine is still drying, but I'll post the recipe and the result after using it. Right now it smells delightful!

spector and Sjoerd like this.
  2. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have a bush full of rosemary ! Let us know ! No fresh sage here but can always use a bit of dried !

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That sounds very tasty to me, Jane.
    It is not clear to me what dries crispy---do you mean the plants' leaves or is there a mixture with the salt and leaves that must dry-up?
    It must be the heat...I am probably trying to overthink this.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sojerd, the rosemary and sage are chopped fine (separately). Then the garlic is minced and mixed into a paste with the coarse salt. The whole mess is blended, then spread out to dry. The instructions said to use a cookie sheet, but I have a perforated pie plate intended to drain ricotta, and I used that. The mixture still took four days to dry inside under air conditioning.
    I have it stored in a glass jar, and when we've tried some, I'll post the results.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ahhhh...I get it now. Yes of course pulverised garlic would be the thing that needs to dry. Of course. Well, I for one shall be waiting to hear what your impressions are of the stuff that you made. I really like those three ingredients so very much, that I can't imagine that it wouldn't be good.
    We do not have an oven, so I am not sure that we would ever baste that mixture on anything, but I can imagine its flavour. Perhaps It could be made liquid again with olive oil and then the meat fried slowly in it. As it is, we mix those ingredients into most of the food that we prepare. Oh dear me--what a wonderful idea you have discovered, Jane. Thanks for your clarity, miss.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, the original recipe said that the Tuscan Rub was a good ingredient for marinades. I think your idea with mixing it with olive oil (and even a bit of dry white wine) would be a good marinade. Or rubs can be rubbed onto meat, then left in the refrigerator to absorb flavors, and then sauteed or broiled.
    This is quite an experiment for me, so I'll post the results. I certainly don't want to disappoint my GardenStew cooks!

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh, heh, heh...Great that you are experimenting with this, Jane. I am curious.

marlingardener likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The results are in, and y'all need to make Tuscan Rub! I used it as a rub on chicken breasts last night--heaven in the mouth! Some fell off into the skillet and adhered to the squash strips next to the chicken. Darn, that was good also. Next is making a marinade.
    I'll post a complete recipe later when I've had my coffee . . . .

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh boy---oh boy!!

marlingardener likes this.