Two family members in the hospital....

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sherry8, May 30, 2010.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

This last week has been so hard on all of my family. Sometimes it is hard to understand why and if you can make it through hardships....we have really been tested.

A week ago Friday my older brother who is 64 ended up in the emergency room with some type of infection, etc. He is now getting better but we were not sure if he would make it. He will be going to a nursing home for rehab to see if he can come back home. He lives with my Mom.

Then a week ago Saturday my Mom was taken to the hospital and it ends up she had 3 strokes. She is having problems lifting her right hand and the right leg is not co-operating. She is not walking. Luckily her speech was alright, got worse and now it is getting better. Problems with choking on things she eats and drinks will be around for a while. She was moved to the rehab floor so we are hoping in 2-3 weeks see improvement. God willing. She is 83. I know know the hardships everyone goes through...it was not this hard when my Dad had a stroke and passed but maybe as we get older it affects us differently. With my Brother she lives with sick and not be able to care for her and himself puts it in a whole new window....will they ever be able to go home or to the rental place is up in the air?

I do try to take time for myself in the garden taking care of things just to relax...or just sitting back and listening to the birds.

2. Loading...

3. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

sending you and your family a bunch of 'healing vibes' sheryl!

big hugs.......

4. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

So sorry about your family and their health issues. Remember God never gives us more than we can handle. Stay strong...prayers coming your way.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sherry I sincerely hope that both your mum and your brother will recover fully. Maybe, after rehab, they can both return to their home again. I'll be thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well for your family.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sending you loads of empathy. I do hope that things pan out favourably for your brother and mum. It's early days yet, but I tend to be optimistic.
    Did your brother have a systemic type of infection?...or was it a local one?
    It may well be a while before you folks know what your mum's future will be in terms of the prognosis.

it sounds like you have a good idea taking it easy and sitting out and being calm. I find that doing as you do is very calming and letting nature distract me is always a positive thing.

Take care, Sherry and here's wishing you lots of strength to come these next days.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sending my thoughts and strength to you and your family Sherry.

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Sjoerd....it was an infection in his blood stream that was causing havoc with everything in his body...he seemed to have a good day.

Mom had another difficult day...I just don't understand why they can't keep her on a regimen for pain pills. She is suffering every time I see her. Almost like a young child that bounces their head off of things....Hopefully they will ask the doctor and help her with the pain.

Thank you everyone....

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Sorry to hear about your recent troubling times Sherry. Best wishes and get well soon to your Mom and brother.
    // frank

10. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

So sorry to hear your news Sherry. Positive vibes and prayers coming across to you from UK for a speedy recovery for your brother & your Mom.

11. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Sherry, what a lot to deal with all at one time... these things are so difficult. I'm sorry Momma is feeling poorly; glad Brother seems to be improving. I will keep you all in my prayers and thoughts. Do you have other siblings? Hang in there Sherry... Hugs.

12. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I'm pulling for you! It will get better, just make darn sure you take care of yourself too!

13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Sorry to hear about your news, be strong and take reak good care of yourself :)

14. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Keep you head up and stay close to family and friends. The seemingly smallest things can build strength and help everyone through hard times.

15. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

They had to have given Mom her pain medication before it got too bad tonight. She was doing so much better. She can move her fingers on her right hand the slightest, she couldn't before. She raised her right arm way up without the support of the other arm...they just have to get her walking...

Now they want to move her for some reason when she is doing so well. I don't know how much faster they expect her to get better...I think she is doing great with only a few days of therapy.

My Brother is doing OK....the people living at the home are not friendly to him...he tried to be nice and talk with someone, a patient and they bellered at him...so that will keep him in his room now. Just small talk and the person must not be happy. He has a private room and it is way at the end of the hall. I asked him to tell them to work on steps so he could go into the house and downstairs without problems..we are putting on a side rail for Mom this weekend.

16. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I hope your mom improves daily and your brother gets better and can go home.My prayers are with you and yours Sherry.