Two Plants That Need A Name

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by flower1lady2000, Apr 16, 2013.

1. flower1lady2000

flower1lady2000 Seedling

2. Loading...

3. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

First one looks exactly like my Penstemon Husker's Red.
    Second, could it be a young Fallopia japonica (Japanese Knotweed)?

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

If that first one stays very low I think I have it all over my yard. It may have been planted many years ago by a previous owner but now has gone wild. I could never dig it out and move it. There is too much.

I Googled Penstemon Husker's Red, calinromania, and that wouldn't be what I have for every picture I found is much too tall.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cal. Great minds and all, I was thinking penstemon, but no idea what variety as I have none and I too was wondering if that was J.knotweed, too.

Flowerlady, does that second plant grow in a big clump, did you plant it or is it a weed? knotweed emerges looking somewhat like asparagus and then the leaves form, looking nothing like asparagus. Ours grows to about 6' in height and is considered an invasive species. It has a huge root system and is hard to dig out.

Here is a recipe and picture of a mature specimen. http://www.ohiomagazine.com/Main/Articl ... _4153.aspx but I wouldn't keep t around just to try a recipe, either.

If it is knotweed...QUICK get a move on and get it out of there. It is terrible to control. It may take all summer and maybe another year or two to eradicate it.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

The first one could be Penstemon.
    The second is definitely a weed.

7. flower1lady2000

flower1lady2000 Seedling

Thanks to all of you; I will remove the second one, since I already have thousands of weeds. Yes, I looked up the first one and it looks like that is what mine is.I am thankful to have a place where I can receive this kind of help and information.
    Thanks again,
    flowerlady

8. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

I just gave you that particulat penstemon based on the color of leaves.
    It could be other kind of penstemon.
    And these stay low for most of the time, until it's time to bloom and then they will shoot up the stems.

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I think the first one is more like Ajuga reptans Here is a link of what it looks like:

http://www.finegardening.com/plantguide ... eweed.aspx

I have 2 kinds all over in my grass and it sure looks just like that. I will go look today as soon as it gets light out there..... LOL

10. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Yes I am with Barb, looks like it will flower soon anyway, then you can tell.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I don't think the first one is ajuga. I have that all over the lawn, much to my dismay, and it grows in a crown and forms stolons. similar to like a strawberry plant does but they are below ground. Then in the spring they have a beautiful purple/blue spike.
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/cons ... ptans.html

Is the first photo one you planted or is it just something growing and have no idea where it came from? If that is an unknown volunteer I would be inclined to think it is a weed then, even though it looks nice at this point... Keep us informed. If you see a flower form take a photo and repost it. Sometimes all the different varieties "throw" us off because the foliage isn't what we are expecting.

I have one that looks like this, but my foliage isn't as pointy as the foliage you have in your photo. Mine is rounded on the tips.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=penstem ... B480%3B640

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Penstemon digitalis 'Huskers Red' (Beard Tongue, Husker Red, Husker's Red) has leaves very similar to yours...but the green is on top with red underneath.
    The green leaves stay in a not very tall clump and send up flower stems mid-late May.
    You plant leaves appear to have red and green on the same side and are shinier than Penstemon.
    Personally I don't dig up and throw out until I know exactly what it is. Why not transplant it to a pot and wait a while to see if IDing it becomes easier.

13. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I think #1 is Husker Red Penstemon. Looks just like it. When it is in a happy spot, it will spread. The plant stays in a low clump, sends up white blooms.