Two seed/plant catalogs arrived today

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by toni, Dec 27, 2007.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The mailman brought two dream books today. The seed/plant/supply catalog from Burpee and one I don't remember signing up for but find it to be filled with interesting possibilities....The Cook's Garden - seeds and plants for gourmet vegetables.

I plan on spending this evening filling our order forms. Usually I fill out the forms then never get them mailed but not this year, I have promised myself to order the plants or seeds that I really want and know I will not find locally.

Anyone else received any 2008 catalogs, maybe some other than the standard companies?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've got about six Toni, all British companies though. I love drooling over them and imagining myself as someone who has enough money, and space, to buy and plant everything I want. :D I think I'd need around ten acres, instead of my 1/3 of an acre, and even then they'd be filled to capacity. :p I keep telling myself I won't be tempted to buy anything else for the garden as it's already choked with plants but ....... well I'm a plantaholic and simply can't resist. :rolleyes:

4. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

ohhhh the envy is pouring out of me,,, i ordered one planting book an it still hasn't arrived yet. geeez its just comming out of Sweden. lol. Its not that far away. :D

5. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I've received my book from Park Seed Co. their out of S. Carolina. It's filled with 123 pages of flowers of all kinds and fruit & veges.

Advertisement
  6. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I got Burpee today too Toni, and a plant catalog named Heronswood, lovely plants, a lot of unusual and new plants, not bad prices. www.heronswood.com

7. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

catalog today

I received Jung catalog today........

Are they telling us to hurry?????

I went day after christmas shopping.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Got my Burpee order form filled out last night. I plan on growing some vegies this year that I have been wanting to try.

They have a cucumber called Sweeter Yet that I want to try for sweet pickles.
    A Bell Pepper called Chocolate Belle, chocolate colored and a smokey sweet taste. We like stuffed bell peppers and I love them on salads and subs.
    And a Roma tomato variety called Viva Italia for spaghetti sauces and soups. And maybe one called Little Mama for salsas.

Also ordering some Zinnia seeds.....Purple Prince and Tequilla Lime...I love purple and green together.

9. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

I've gotten Burpee, Jung, Shumways, totally tomatoes, pine tree garden, and stokes.... I think thats it. I never order seeds through the mail anymore. I have used Pine tree in the past, and burpee over 20+ years ago.
    Dont know what list i got on. Maybe through a gardening club I'm in.

10. weeds n seeds

weeds n seeds Seedling

Mailman just LOVES me, I think I'm on every seed catalogue list there is and they've been arriving almost daily! I ordered all 2008 seeds in late Sept., from kept 2007 catalogues, so I'd have them "on hand" and be ready to go starting in January. After much trial, error and disappointment with various seed company products, have settled on Pinetree; HPS (are larger packets of seeds, but prices are FAIR, vegetable/flower selection phenominal); Totally Tomatoes; Tomato Growers (if you like eggplant, their "Nadia" strain is unbelievable, this is the only place I've seen seed for it); and Johnny's. Found seed germination rates excellant with all these companies, S/H rates fair, plus fast service and delivery. Also like their catalogues for the growing hints/information they contain about plant culture etc., so retain them for referance. Pays to look thru all the others tho', always something new and exciting to discover, be tempted to try.

11. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

seedy catalogs............

I am hopin Mailman doesnt love me.
    Cause it is a Lady....ha ha

I keep them quite busy.

b :stew2: :D :D :D

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I can't wait to get home and see some of my catalogues.I also start my seeds in late January and early Feb..I had them all planted in the yard by May 20th.last year as I flew to Montana for a month then.

13. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

seeds

I did some geranium cuttings the other day.. They do best in the first few months.

I will start only peppers early..........

Had a mess last spring......Too early.

14. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Mornin' ya'll... :stew2:

Got my 'High Country Gardens' catalog yesterday and am having a field day perusing. :p Do you guys look through the catalogs and see what you want and then buy locally, or do you order through the cataloges. Which is best? I know there will be some things in cataloges that I want that I can not find locally. And as far as potting soil... I have always bought the cheap stuff. What do 'real' gardners use? I bought some Miracle Grow Moisture Control. Is that a good soil? :stew1:

15. Penny

Penny Young Pine

I got a copy of Stokes, dunno if its available in the States, but lots to choose from.

16. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

AHHHHH :D - My Plant Delights catalogue arrived yesterday.

It is already full of hot pink highlighter pen markings!!
    :rolleyes: If only I had an unlimited budget.