Ugh! We're melting! How about you?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Tooty2shoes, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Well we here in Wis. have joined the over heated crowd. It is 105 degrees(oops read it wrong) on my deck thermometer in the shade. :'( I'm melting along with the rest of the US. This is such crazy and dangerous weather for anything to be out in. This Tue. is suppose to be even hotter. I guess you could call it global over heating. :rolleyes:

Jewell and AAnightowl like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sounds like you have your thermometer in the wrong location or it's malfunctioning. The temperature on your local newspaper website is between 90-95 with a heat index of 105.

The human body can not tolerate temperatures of 125, would result in heat prostration followed closely by heat stroke which usually leads to dead.

AAnightowl and Tooty2shoes like this.
  4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I don't know, or care what the actual temperature is out there. All I do know is that it's mighty hot with a good dose of humidity thrown in. It has been miserable for awhile, with no end in sight yet.
    The weather guys are talking "extreme heat advisory" and I tend to listen. I have limited my work to the early morning hours.
    Not fit for man nor beast out there!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  5. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Well, it is cold and wet here in the UK. Even the tortoises are considering hibernating. :( Hope things cool down for you soon.

Tooty2shoes likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Opps Toni: I had talked to my Mom who lives about 40 miles south of me and her temp. on her patio was 104. :'(

Kay, I try to do the same. We have raspberries and pea's that need picking. But not in this heat. We have high humidity also. At least we can water as we needed. I thank God for that.

Oh boy, EJ. We sure could use some cool wet in the whole US. Sounds wonderful if your not a turtle.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Up here in Scotland it's thunderstorms and heavy rain. The only thing that's making the day appear lighter, every now and then, is lightning. :rolleyes:

gardenelf and Tooty2shoes like this.
  8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

It's cooking here in Ontario today too. I love the heat but today is the hottest day I can remember.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  9. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It was cloudy all day but no rain. It did keep the sun from beating down on us. We generally try to do everything before 9 am or after 7 pm around here. Otherwise it's dashing from an air conditioned car to an air condition building and trying to keep cool. dooley

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  10. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The official high temperature in my back yard in the shade was 94.3°F. Pretty warm but nothing earth shattering as the record set back in 1969 was 98°F. We did sit outside today , in the shade with the overhead fan running. Cool liquid drinks kept everyone from melting. We all need a daylong rain to cool everything off. I know someone that kicks up a mean raindance. Lives in NM. Now where did I put that phone number.......... :)

Jerry

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

101 today, the record for July 17th was 110 back in 1980.

It's my understanding that the heat wave hitting north and east is to last for the next week? Hope you all have air conditioning to keep you safe.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jerry, find that phone number and send it to me! My rain dancing obviously has had no effect. We were cooler today--only 101 degrees. We are supposed to be hot and dry all next week.
    Everyone keep as cool as possible and drink lots of water. The Stew would hate to lose any members!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I have just enjoyed two beautiful days of about 85... and low-ish humidity. I could even turn off the AC and open the windows. What a treat, and unusual for this time of year. Supposed to be hot and humid -- creeping back up to the 90s all week. All those in the heat wave areas, stay safe and drink plenty of water!!!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yep, I heard it is supposed to be in the 90's ALL week. Yes, MELTING!!!! and we are so fortunate to have AC. I don't know how the poor animals can stand being out there all day and they have fur and feathers. the poor things! Hope everyone can stay safe in this weather.
    EJ, It would be great to swap some of this weather with you. I like the heat and the humidity, but this is miserable, even to me!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  15. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Burnt to a crisp here... Ack. I hate the heat. Thankfully, autumn is officially "only" 65 days away and counting. I start counting by June 21st here. ;) It was in the 90s, I think. At 11 pm local time it was still 80'. Nasty. Thankfully the temp has now dropped to a slightly more comfortable 76'. Hey, Eileen, send some of those T storms and COLD our way please. The turtles can hide in the hot dirt here. :D

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  16. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

AAnightowl; I'm with you. I hate this hot weather. I do love the fall also. Just had a small storm blow threw. But the heat is up to 94 on my deck already and it's only 11:00am :oops: But I guess I would take this weather over mudslides or tsunami any day.

Dooley; that is for sure. I was out this morning at 6:30 am picking the Raspberries and peas before it got to hot. At least in dashing from one air conditioned area to the next we will get some exercise. :D

eileen; I love a good thunder and lighting storm. We did get about 2" of rain last night. But it didn't cool us off any.