ugly duckling?!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by lukeypukey, Jun 1, 2011.

1. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

are there any flowers or plants out there you find butt ugly?? :eek: my gazanias have started this off. although the flowers look fantastic!! the foliage on 2 or 3 of them looks an absolute mess!! not impressed :-|

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

What do they look like? Do they have mildew or something on them? they like hot dry conditions, are you, maybe, overwatering them?
    I saw some just the other day when I was at a greenhouse and I didn't think anything good or bad about the foliage. although they had a raging case of aphids all over them :( so I got away from them as fast as I could, NASTY CRITTERS!!!

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

To me, Red Hot Pokers are "butt ugly" :-o

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I'm having a really hard time thinking the black flowers are pretty. Nor would I want to hurt anyones feelings by calling them (the flowers not the person) any names, but I don't really like them.

Advertisement
  5. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

im trying to get a picture up buts its taking a long time carolyn :-D i may have gave them a bit too much to drink. but i'll keep it on the low down from now on. there in a well drained soil in full sun and dont seem to have any issues. the foliage just doesn't do anything for me lol its really low lying and all over the place, maybe "butt ugly" was a little extreme. and one of them does look really good, there's a picture in my garden on here. cant wait for the flowers to appear, one is almost open :-D

i agree with you stratsmom, i wouldn't have a spot for red hot pokers in my garden. [/quote]

6. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

7. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

8. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

above is the gazania i think looks ok (mind the weeds :oops: )

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I agree ... Gazania's don't look good at all until they bloom. I don't mind Red Hot Pokers...they look neat blooming in masses.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, they do look kind of "weedish", but give them a little time to develop some flowers and you will never notice the foliage. Maybe that's why I didn't think anything, either way, of the plants when I saw them.
    You are right, "butt ugly" is kind of an extreme description, they aren't that bad. Dracena's have much less attractive foliage(BORING,is all I think) than these, at least this foliage has some interesting shape to the leaves.

11. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I love Red Hot Pokers! That's the wonderful thing about flowers/plants...there's plenty of them to go around so everyone can be happy! :stew2:

daisybeans likes this.
  12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I like red hot pokers too :)

I can't think of any that I don't like because they look ugly to me buuuut, mimosa trees, sasafras trees, honeysuckle and mulberries are such invasive things in my yard, I have a pretty strong reaction to them when I see them. Not hte positive kind of reaction, either! But I'll bet there are people here that like all of those too!

13. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Morning glory/vine weed (or is it bind weed)makes me cringe. It is a pest where I live, but I like seeing it in photos that aren't taken in my area/yard. Mixed with brambles it can be a painful weeding experience.

14. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

I find Campanula medium (bells?) plants to look really ugly. Until they start blooming.
    To me, they look like what's left after you cut off the cabbage head. Some leaves and sometimes the roots are a bit above the ground. Many times I just wanted to quit having these. But then I remember how pretty the flowers are.
    I'd almost put digitalis (foxgloves) in the same category...

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hey Luke, I saw a pot of gazania yesterday at my Farmers Market and I thought the foliage was interesting, not ugly at all. i actually like the foliage better than the flowers. :D