Ugly wall paneling

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Kievster, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Kievster

Kievster New Seed

i have this really old ugly wall paneling on one of the walls in my room...the paneling goes all the way up to the ceiling. how do i dress it up a little bit? because tearing it out is not an option...

2. Loading...

3. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Can it be painted? Maybe a sponge painting technic. Then there is this method of taking fabric and starching it and putting it on the wall. I am sure you could do a search on these methods. Good luck and we would love to see before and after photos of the project.

4. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Paint it. My husband is a painter and paints paneling all the time. It's all about using the right primer. Almost my whole house was ugly dark paneling when we bought it 10 years ago. Now its light and bright.

5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

We had icky paneling once that we tried painting and it still had the 'look' of paneling (ridges going up and down) but it was much brighter.

Some kind of texture or patterning (such as the sponging) would help, especially if you add a touch of something reflective such as a light metallic or pearl. Good luck!

Advertisement
  6. Kievster

Kievster New Seed

i dont think its the right texture to be painted...it has the texture that gives you splinters...but i think im just going to cover it up with wallpaper and paint that...and ill try to get some before and after pics but it might be awhile

7. digital flower

digital flower Seedling

How about a nice floral mural? :smt002

8. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Several years ago we papered a panelled room with wallpaper that was designed to go over paneling. It was heavy and textured so the seams in the panelling didn't show. We then painted the wallpaper. I beleive we bouth the paper at Lowes.

9. flowie

flowie Seedling

yeah we have the same thing in our basement.. its gross.. I was going to paint it and sponge it.. but i havent gotten around to it.. its old ugly and dark..

whats the best primer to use? im definitly going to do a base and then a sponging in a different color.. something MUCH lighter..