UK Gardens shows 2019

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Gail-Steman, Sep 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'll be checking these out after work! Thanks for posting :)

Gail-Steman likes this.
  4. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

@Netty i will be looking at them myself as i've only had one day out this year...being an home bird is no good:whistling:

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I watch the telly presentations of some shows shown on the BBC. You folks have so many during the course of a year. I wish gardening here was such a cultural thing as over there.

Gail-Steman likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

They do have quite a few here and I've never been to one as yet but come next year I would like to go and see one and you usually find a list come up for different places and dates they're running on.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I like seeing them on the telly...and I once thought about visiting Chelsea, but mate---the crowds, the crowds. What I also like are the gardens in the "Yellow Book". If I lived there, I would absolutely visit several.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  8. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

@Sjoerd apparently Chelsea does get packed but i would love to visit a flower show as i've never been to one...hubby promised me stately home visits this year and nothing came of it but come next year pressure will be added :whistling:...i've never seen the "Yellow book" or heard of it.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya Gail,
    The yellow book refers to the "Garden Visitors Handbook" which one can buy to see the gardens that are participating in the scheme.

The National Garden Scheme is the what selected gardens participate in. They must comply with certain criteria to be allowed to participate.

So then, folks buy the handbook and then go and visit the gardens that they want to see across the country. It is such a good idea. Pity that we do not have something like that here.

Good luck with a show visit next year. I think that the Malvern Flower Show would be a good one.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  10. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Hello @Sjoerd I just looked on Amazon and they sell the books and mentioned the shows more to hubby tonight and he's all for going next year (YES) :rofl:...are these the books mate.

[​IMG]

It's a shame you don't have them there...they have loads here throughout the year and liking flowers like I do it would be a nice change but some of them are quite a distance from us also :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes, that is the book. Over the years, they have featured some of the gardens and how one goes about qualifying on the BBC. I was amazed at how high the bar is set for aspirant participants. It is good though, as the folks who visit will know that the gardens are safe, beautiful and have amenities. Aside from that, being approved must be a great pat on the back for those accepted.
    I think that you folks will really enjoy going next year--it would make a great weekend excursion. Also I believe that the fees that folks may charge for entry goes to charity. That is also nice.

Right then, please do post some piccies to show what you have seen, oké?.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  12. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Hi @Sjoerd thanks for the information and knowing that's the correct book, I've not seen the book yet for 2019 on Amazon but I shall get it as soon as it comes out and pic's will be taken...hubby will have no choice :whistling:

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I think that it is too early for the 2019 book to be out. They may not have all the sorted yet.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  14. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

when I go on the search button it shows but nothing comes up but like you say most likely still sorting it :)

Sjoerd likes this.