unknown bulbs

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by gamills2, Feb 8, 2013.

1. gamills2

gamills2 New Seed

I recently planted a couple dozen unknown small bulbs an inch and a half down in a few pots. They all sprouted up 6 -12 inches (organic maneur and top soil mix) with in a couple weeks indoors. How should I proceed? I believe I should replant them deeper due to tipping over so (5x5 pot). Please give some guidance or direction. Googleing is not.helping what so ever.

Panama City Beach, FL

[​IMG]
    unknown planted bulbs ( photo / image / picture from gamills2's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Northerner
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Ffellow
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Gee gam, I'd be inclined to think if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The plants look healthy in their pot.....I am guessing the bulbs were small ones. The general rule of thumb is the smaller the bulb, the shallower you plant it. If need be, you could provide support for the greenery in time if it appears to need it....

carolyn likes this.
  4. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Looks like you've got a really happy pot full of ...? I don't know either. Is the "next" pic the same kind of bulb? Where did you get the bulbs?

5. gamills2

gamills2 New Seed

bulbs

I found 21 small unknown bulbs in the bottom of a lg ceramic pot, full of 3yr old (at leaste) dirt outside my neibors unoccupied house. The only differance between them all, is that the smaller pic. i grew outside. The rest indoors. I'm going away for a week or so i'm guess to prop them up with chop sticks and put sheet pans with H2O under them. By my bay window with blinds tilted down.?????????????

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have added the other two photos you took of them....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And if you could make all your photos the same size as this first one they would be so much easier to see, especially when trying to identify what the plant is ;)

7. purpleinopp

Oh how cool is that?! I've gotten some mystery bulbs from abandoned yards too. Hoping to solve those this year.

With the size of that foliage, I think you'll get some flowers and the mystery will be solved soon. Do you remember seeing any bulb flowers at the neighbors? If you're not sure what to expect, color or size, it's much harder to match mystery foliage to possible blooms. I would probably leave the blinds open while gone if that doesn't creep you out, make it obvious you're not there. Might be best to put pots outside.

In the meantime, you've mentioned they're small, we know from how they were found that they're hardy to around 8b... What color were the bulbs, or at least the outer coating? Were they already sprouting green leaves? Were they smooth, or with onion-like skin layers, or with some other kind of coating?

Probably won't help ME to tell you what they are, not that familiar with southern bulbs, but may be enough info for someone who knows them better.

8. purpleinopp

Did you get any flowers from these bulbs yet? I know it's still early, but some of mine remain a mystery too.