Urban Glam Bedroom

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Willow626, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Willow626

Willow626 New Seed

Hi! So I want to design my bedroom with a urban glam kinda feel. I found a really nice blingy light fixture that I want to use and my carpet is a medium grey, it has a slightly wavy linear pattern on it. I was thinking I would like to wallpaper the feature wall that the bed will be against and I want the colors to all be grey or maybe even black for wallpaper, making a cool warehousey feel. My question is should I use a dark grey as the feature wallpaper and then light grey walls or is that too much grey? Maybe I should use a black wallpaper and then light grey walls? Also with having a linear pattern on the carpet can I still use a pattern on wallpaper? Ive seen some nice striped ones and also like damasks. (If I were to follow the linear carpet up the wall the lines would be horizontal) Any advice would be appreciated!!!

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Willow. :-D Is there any chance of you showing us a photograph of the room in question? It's so much easier to give advice if we actually see the dimension and shape of where you want to decorate.

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A photo will be a big help. But even without one I would suggest that you use a dark plum color instead of black with the grey. Personally, I would paint the feature wall instead of putting up wall paper, that way you can get exactly the color you want without having to make do with the wall paper that is available.

Wander through the paint section of a big box store and collect grey color cards then take them home and tape them to the walls. Look at them for a few days and you will slowly start eliminating the colors that you really don't like. When you get down to a very few to choose from go back to the store to get a sample pot of each color and paint a swatch on the walls and go through the process again.

4. Willow626

Willow626 New Seed

Thanks for the replies! Heres a pic, the wall I want to feature is the one that the bed is against.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Willow626's Garden )

Im not sure why but I really do have my heart set on wallpaper. The hardest problem Im having with the wallpaper is worrying about it conflicting with carpet, as I said the carpet has a wavy linear pattern so if I do anything linear on the wall is that too much? Or maybe should I do circles or a squared pattern or is mixing those a faux pas? I have no design experience, just trying to make my home nice so it is new to me! I do like damask but they sure have been done a lot in the last couple years so Im not sure I should do that. Just don't want it to look too busy with the carpet...

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Willow626's Garden )

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Same suggestion goes for picking out wall paper. You can get sample books, used to be able to borrow them for a couple of days but I don't know if they still do that.

Will you paper the whole wall or just the upper portion?

A Damask would look good with the carpet as long as there isn't much/if any white in the design, the white will become the focus in a room with grey and black because of the stark contrast... maybe something like this... http://techii.deviantart.com/art/Damask ... e-77423788
    Even if you paper the entire wall, it will be fine with the carpet design.

Find the wall paper first. You could then pick out the color for the other walls from it...the paint places can create the exact color using a sample of the color you want.