Useful info regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by S-H, Apr 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I am starting this tread, just so all the correct information about this global pandemic can be found in one place. Because these days, unfortunately, there is way too many useless myths floating around, (alongside bogus scientific claims, plus fake news) - So here in this thread, only correct and useful information will be collected and shared... I encourage all members to contribute!

Also note, that information shared here DOES NOT mean that we can now pretend to be doctors... Only properly qualified and licensed medical practitioners have the skills to treat anyone with this ailment.

If however it's an emergency and no doctor is available anywhere. Then of course, we have no choice. But try to treat anyone by yourself, no matter how good your intentions might be - You might actually be commiting a very serious crime. In fact don't even try to self medicate, (as unqualified people are more likely to make the situation worse)...

Anyway here goes.

Yes it is true, that people of blood type A are slightly more susceptible to COVID-19. But this does not mean that you have to panic. Instead just read these links below and become well informed.

https://www.sciencealert.com/paper-...ight-be-slightly-more-susceptible-to-covid-19

https://www.forbes.com/sites/clarye...ity-means-for-future-treatments/#3e6e5f05677c

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/is-blood-type-linked-to-covid-19-risk

Yes Vitamin C really helps a lot, D too. In fact all vitamins help. But some we shouldn't be getting an overdose of. However the beauty of vitamin C is that you cannot get an overdose of it. As the excess simply passes out of the body, without any issue.

Unfortunately, a lot of vitamin C tablets and supplements have artificial flavoring, (to give it a sweet orange taste). It's just a marketing sales gimmick, to make people believe that they are taking extracts of real oranges. But in reality, it's nothing but artificial flavoring with some sugar.

So the problem with this is, that if someone has diabetes, then I don't know how their system will react. Therefore it is always best to take vitamin C from natural sources. Like oranges, lemons, limes, kiwis, and grapefruit.

However, those who are on blood pressure medication, MUST AVOID grapefruit! As in certain situations, grapefruit can make the blood pressure medicine 3 times more powerful...

So you guys see the problem now? No matter what useful information I try to write here. There will always be a certain number of people - For whom it can be harmful, fatal even... Which is why I can't help and keep stressing, that practicing medicine should be left to those who are properly qualified, (and licensed). I mean that there is a reason why med schools exist.

Also note, that vitamin C is not a magic bullet which will defeat Coronavirus. Because there is no cure for this ailment. As COVID-19 is actually just a very bad version of the flu. So what vitamin C might do, (yes, might), is make the effects milder, (it is not a cure). Therefore don't expect too much beyond that!

Anyway, below is a link which show how vitamin C can help with COVID-19.

https://www.insider.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-vitamin-c-and-coronavirus-2020-4

Yes Chloroquine helps a lot in COVID-19. But this is a very powerful and toxic medicine. So anyone taking it just as a precaution - Is only asking for trouble... As it is very clearly documented, that irresponsible use of it can damage the heart permanently. And may even cause death.

So again, do not take Chloroquine unless it is confirmed that you indeed have Coronavirus. And never without proper medical supervision.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanrhe/article/PIIS2665-9913(20)30093-X/fulltext

Do not take Advil if you have Coronavirus. As it could make the situation worse. True or false? Experts say that it is just another baseless Internet rumor...

However, everyone is free to make up their own mind. Just do a Google search for it, (just red only what reputable universities and medical institutions publish, and ignore conspiracy theory websites).

My opinion is that no medicine, no matter how harmless it may seem - Should NEVER be taken without a qualified doctor's supervision. But who the hell listens to me anyway???

:frustrated: :smt013 :shrug:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/27/...symptoms-covid-19-text-misinformation-twitter

No, taking/inhaling steam isn't going to kill off Coronavirus in any way. This myth about COVID-19 is so hopelessly ridiculous - That I am not even going to bother talking about it in detail...

Another myth that warm climate will kill off the virus naturally, has also been disproven. So if anyone was still waiting for summer to arrive - Well, dream on sunshine...

:snicker:

Also note that Coronavirus had already started spreading in the southern hemisphere in January of 2020. Where it was already the peak of summer...

COVID-19 can survive for 12 hours on metallic surfaces. And for 9 hours on fabric. But on plastic and plasticised surfaces up to 48 hours (under some conditions). But on alphabet road surfaces, it can survive for almost a week, specially if the roads are moist. So rubber tyres easily pick it up and carry it elsewhere. That's what Army medics are saying over here. So just spray bleach in your driveway, (and on all tyres of your cars). And COVID-19 won't be able to get inside your home, (as our shoes won't be able to pick it up from the driveway).

Yes giving blood plasma from a person who has recently recovered from COVID-19 - To a person who is very badly effected, (even if critical), can indeed help them turn the corner. Yes it has been proven again and again. So this is not a myth, it really works!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...survivors-found-to-help-severely-ill-patients

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...rvivors-might-help-patients-fight-it-off/amp/

Another new promising way to a cure COVID-19 - Might be Ivermectin, the antiparasite agricultural drug used for livestock. But, please keep in mind that this information is just a day old. And up till now, hasn't been tasted on humans at all for COVID-19.

Also, COVID-19 is a virus, while Ivermectin is a antiparasite drug. So how can it be working like this? Well, we should let the experts figure this one out. But for now, keep an eye this news. Just in case this might later become one possible treatment...

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200407/parasite-drug-shows-early-promise-against-covid-19

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=229893

One amazing find, is BCG vaccine, (from the 1920). This and maybe the reason why some people (who might be elderly) still don't show any signs of COVID-19, even when accidentally exposed it.

Unfortunately, this was mandatory inoculation in my country only until 1978, (I think). After that it became optional. So a lot of kids born in the 80s probably never got this anti TB vaccine. Also didn't get any smallpox vaccine either. Which I guess can explain why young people also die from COVID-19. While some elderly people don't get sick at all.

Italy and Spain unfortunately never opted for a blanket immunization and ultra aggressive vaccination program, (as far as I know)...

Also in tropical regions of the world where ailments like malaria were once very common. COVID-19 doesn't seem to be spreading as far, as it is killing people in Europe and North America... But these regions like most of Africa, South Asia, South East Asia, and regions of South America too - Are just not becoming the new epicenters COVID-19.

Obviously, more research needs to be carried out. But for now, all those who got BCG and smallpox vaccinations in their early childhood. Stand a better chance at surviving this must horrible ailment.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericma...-fight-the-coronavirus-pandemic/#77f77b1220bb

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/world-52138929

Of course, the best cure is actually prevention. Because there really is no cure for this, if it gets you. All medical treatments are just supportive. So for your own and everybody else's safety - DO NOT VIOLATE THE LOCKDOWN AND SOCIAL DISTANCING PROTOCOLS!!! Because all these measures are for your own safety. So please don't be irresponsible, (even if you think you are made of steel). Honestly, don't take any chances with this, and don't try to be a hero. In fact, you will all be heros in my book. If you listened to the authorities, and didn't indulge in any irresponsible behavior.

IMG-20200407-WA0020.jpg

I will edit this post or comment on this thread, whenever new information comes to light.

But in the meantime, anyone else who has any other useful information to share - Please post it here!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    eileen likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Unfortunately, in the above post I overlooked the obvious, (again), :rofl: so here goes:

No you can't get infected with COVID-19 from the air. Not unless someone coughs or sneezed nearby. As the micro droplets of body fluids which might get suspended in air (by sneezing) - Is how others get infected.

This is why authorities everywhere are stressing on social distancing. So please don't take it as a joke...

Which also is why masks are a must! But just as crucial are gloves. However, if any of those droplets suspended in the air gets into your eyes - Then you've had it also. Therefore, aside from masks and gloves, eye protection is also needed.

When outdoors, I already am always wearing wraparound sports sunglasses anyway. And those who have specials on are also protected. But anyone who hasn't got any eye protection, is at risk.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    eileen likes this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My parents were insistent that I got all those vaccines when they came to our school (around 1955), plus I was a Polio Pioneer in early 1954.

S-H likes this.
  5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I was just a kid who got shots and lollipops....it was my parents I have been proud of for taking the chance on an unknown medicine to get me vaccinated hoping to make sure I didn't get what was the most feared scourge of the years I was growing up.

S-H likes this.
  7. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Very responsible parents indeedl

But nowadays I see parents on the internet campaigning against vaccinations of their children...

How the world has changed so much, in such an ugly way, (and in only 1 generation). I really feel like smacking my head in frustration.

:frustrated:

I really don't understand where this resistant of vaccinating children is coming from? I don't see much scientific evidence or any research supporting this... In my early childhood, I and my siblings all got a complete blanket of inoculation shots. And so did both my parents in their early childhood - Yet now people actively working against vaccination of their children? It's mind boggling. Just can't see any logic to this kind of mindset.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I am resigned to the thought that we will either get it.....or not and either recover... or not.

Frank, Odif and S-H like this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I am not sure this is actually truth. Officials are thinking... talking and singing can create enough aerosolized droplets for this to happen. there was a group that gathered for choir practice who followed the social distancing measures but many of them still came down with the coronavirus.

Jewell and S-H like this.
  10. mart

mart Strong Ash

If there was a vaccine against it,, I got it ! I still do the same ! Thats the reason our generation doesn`t have Autism or anything else that the internet tells people they have ! The Polio I got on a sugar cube,, and smallpox a scratch on the arm ! Everything else,,,,Ouch !

S-H likes this.
  11. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

I think it's worth noting that it would SEEM like >95% of people will get this and be OK
    and for all we know, it could be 99.995%, we simply do not know. and that's what's fueling the panic more than anything.

soon they will have an antibody test which will be used to give us an idea of how many people actually had this thing! If it turns out that currently 10% of the US population is/has been infected then the death rate is close to 99.995%
    of course, this info will be downplayed like crazy because no one wants to admit they massively overreacted. ( i guess the opposite outcome is just as likely who knows )

I look forward to seeing craziness play out.

12. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

In the start of 2018, I got Swine Flu. It was the absolute worst kind of sickness I have ever experienced in my entire life. And yes, it almost killed me I was down and out for 3 months. And during the worst period of about 10 to 12 days, I was coughing out tiny amounts of blood. The pain in my ribcage and upper abdomen was so bad, that I didn't get any sleep for almost a week...

In fact, the only reason why I am not dead, (I was told) - Is probably becauseI do not smoke, nor do I indulge in any type of alcohol consumption, (never have and never will). And generally liked to stay in shape.

Anyhow Swine Flu was said to be extremely contagious. However, they are now saying, that COVID-19 is 50 times more contagious then Swine Flu...

Therefore I believe you completely!

Yes I have the scar from smallpox vaccination too. Everybody I know has it, except for one. I am the youngest in the group of cousins on my father's side of the family. And on my mother's side, the second youngest... Unfortunately, the cousin born after me in my mother's family, (who is the absolute youngest cousin now) - Never got smallpox vaccine. And she was born a little after me, in 1978.

And so kids born during the 80s and further down in the 90s. Obviously haven't had the type of vaccinations people of my age group and above have had...

Could this explain why so many young people also die from COVID-19? While others around my age and seniors, easily recover from it. I don't know for sure, I am just wondering.

One thing which I do now keep thinking about, is that someone was saying on TV, that when he was in Italy - And when he took off his shirt on the beach to play a game. Local Italians kept looking at the round ring like vaccination scar on his upper arm, (from the smallpox inoculation). A few even questioned him, if he was a gunshot survivor?

Obviously, Italian government never made such vaccinations mandatory for their population, (I assume)... So just look at the situation over there now.

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

ahh, that is interesting. I have a round vaccination scar on the inside of my arm. Mine came from my brother after he got his vaccines when he was in school. evidently he was holding me and I had my arm wrapped around his while he was holding me.... mine is on the inside of my bicep. so, I wonder if I have a partial or whole immunity... they quit doing this by the time I got to kindergarten... I think.

S-H likes this.
  14. mart

mart Strong Ash

S_H I have not even had so much as a cold in 30+ years ! Nor anything else except for one 24hour stomach virus and that was 10 years ago ! But I have my own theory as to why there is more illness now than when I was growing up ! It all comes down to the sanitation aspect ! Not that we were not clean,, we were but as kids we also played in the mud,dirt and with animals and when we were told to wash up for dinner it was good old Ivory soap with no bacteria/germ killers added ! We were exposed enough to build our immune systems ! That is what the body has to do to resist all that is going around today ! We had few antibiotics given and that allowed our bodies to build its own immune response to many things !
    Now if someone sneezes they run to the doctor to fix it !

S-H likes this.
  15. mart

mart Strong Ash

Carolyn,, the smallpox was a semi-live virus so I would say you have some immunity ! Good thing is we don`t have smallpox in the U.S. to my knowledge ! They always told us not to scratch the scab or it would spread ! Few listened to the doctors ! But thats how the immunization worked,, they gave you a weakened version of smallpox and your body made its own antibodies !

S-H likes this.
  16. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

The thing which I now keep wondering about is - Will anybody learn anything out this, after it will all be over? Or will everybody slide back into ignorance?

I always use to think, up until now, that the more widespread the internet and access to free scientific information would spread. The less number of ignorant people in the future.

But to my utter astonishment, (in the last 15+ years) I am discovering the reverse to be true... Like, who could have ever imagined, that in the year 2020, something like the Flat Earth Society would still exist? But not only exist, instead thrive!? I mean, has anybody seen the number of followers on their page???

So this is what actually has me seriously concerned about the future, honestly...

In my country and culture, we refer to the pre Islamic era with extreme contempt. We call it, Daor-e-Jahilliyat, (age of the ignorant and the hopelessly illiterate)...

It was a time in Arabia,when paganistic beliefs were held supreme. Which not only included pointless stone idol worship, but other evil beliefs as well. Like you must kill your first born, if she was a girl. Otherwise all good luck and fortune will move out of your house. So make sure that your eldest child is always a boy... Believe it or not, but this is how Arabian society use to be once upon a time, (1,400 years ago).

Feel free to look it up online if anybody doesn't believe me...

Which is why, we refer to these times with the utmost contempt! And not only that, but slavery too was common - But the arrival of Islam changed all of that forever. As it brought an end to all such inhumane and downright evil beliefs and practices. Slavery too was abolished forever, (and for the first time in human history, animals rights too were incorporated into law).

However, now I am seeing trends of similar mindset emerging from certain corners of the internet. Like this movement of people not wanting to have their kids vaccinated... Like, can anyone seriously be this crazy?

So where exactly will all this end? And how will the hard lessons learned from this Coronavirus global pandemic also get twisted out of shape later ?This is my greatest worry right now.

Daor-e-Jahilliyat, (age of the ignorant and the hopelessly illiterate), which we always referred to with first contempt, and later gratitude also, as such times will never again be seen again - Now might actually make a comeback...