Using dog (animal) hair in the garden

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by petunia, Apr 20, 2008.

1. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I been helping a friend of mine doing some part time pet grooming. We sweep up bags of dog hair every day. She has told me she uses it around her flowers to keep rabbits and other critters away. She also has clay soil and said that dog hair is high in nitrogen and helps with her soil (clay).
    Now while I don't doubt what she is saying, I've just never heard of pet hair. Human hair, I've heard of-it keeping small critters out of the garden.
    Has anyone used pet hair or know of its uses in the garden???

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yes I have Petunia. I don't know about it keeping rabbits at bay but it's supposed to stop snail and slugs from munching on your plants. The hair sticks to their slimey underparts and prevents them from moving. Pet hair and human hair can also be put out in little mesh bags for the birds to build their nests with. :stew1:

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

My mother used dog hair in small bags made from ruined stockings to keep the deer away from her garden. Like all other remedies, it worked for a little while.

I've never heard of it being used to deter slugs, so I've learned something new today.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Imagine a slug coated with dog hair!

Advertisement
  6. woodlandfey

woodlandfey Seedling

Hairy slug

7. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I've heard about the "hair" trick. I don't have enough to give, but I have used the sprinkles with fox urine and so far nothing's bothered my veggies or flowers much.

Gardengater

8. mary02

mary02 New Seed

Dog hair, people hair, coyote urine - none of 'em work 4 me

I've used all of the above and the old-fashioned mothball thing - none of them keep animals away from me and mine. But i have discovered that if i brush my dogs outside and toss the hair under shrubs or near trees, the birds go back and forth apparently using it for nesting material. A husky's hair is so soft and thick, i always thought it would make great pillows for non-allergic people. I have two shedding dogs and if hair could kill, there'd be a lot of belly-up critters to dispose of every morning.

people hair from my brush, nada. animal urine doesn't last long enough. i've commanded my husky to do her business in a few areas near the garden once in a while. that doesn't help either. urine doesn't last long enough to be effective, and it is bad for grassy or foliage areas.

The hair doesn't make an effective fertilizer, it doesn't break down quickly enough. it could take years. at least a husky's hair doesn't. and it looks bad when wet unless hidden in the garden.When it's dry the wind blows it around unless it's poked into the ground. mice like it for bedding and apparently a dog smell doesn't make them no nevermind.

As a deterrant - not happening for me. The only deterrant that worked for me, and i don't have the container here to remind me of the name... is an organic natural spray-on repellent that freaks out their highly developed sense of smell. it smells awful when you spray it onto surfaces, like rotten eggs and galic til it dries in a few moments, then you don't smell it but they do. you spray the perimeter of your garden, or right onto the plants. it lasts about a month even if it rains. It saved my jasmine and Sweet Flag from those pesky wabbits. It re-trains the animal to stay away from you and bother someone else. After a few nights of whiffing it, they decide not to come back.