Using empty 2 liters bottle for my peppers, question

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Clay_22, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

I was talking to my good friend the other day and was telling him about the pepper seeds I started. He asked me about my green bell success and I said I only get small sized ones. He told me someone said to use empty 2 liters bottles with the bottoms cut off and to put them over the pepper plants after transplanting outside for the first month or so. Sound logical to me that they would be in their own greenhouse. Has anyone done this or have any comments ??? I would love some Stewbie Input. :)

2. Loading...

3. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I use wall of water or kozy coats to cover my pepper plants. They collect heat during the day that keep the plants warm at night. They work very well. I would be afraid that the plants would burn if 2 liter bottles were left on during a sunny day.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yes, I think that 2L bottles would need very close monitoring to make sure they weren't getting too hot.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Donna and Netty are right--the plastic bottles would trap too much heat, and the clear plastic would act as a reflector, burning leaves. If you want to see what would happen, put one over a weed and leave it for two sunny days.
    If you get small bells, it may be the variety. Cubanelles and Gypsys are lovely peppers, but smaller. California Wonders are large and blocky. What variety are you planting?

Advertisement
  6. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

New Ace Bell Pepper marlingardener

I been looking online and I only see people doing it inside before transplanting outdoors so maybe I will go that route.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  7. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

google cloche, leave the cap off the bottle, these can be helpful during the transplant shock phase.

8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That sounds like a good idea....I just have to find someone that buys the 2L bottles that will save them for me.

9. SueanneFl.

SueanneFl. New Seed

How about using milk jugs instead. They are larger and not clear offering more protection. I am sure more people will have them on hand.