Vegetable garden help

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Donaldjb, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Donaldjb

Donaldjb New Seed

Hi all,

I'm new here and new(ish) to vegetable gardening. I have a small area at my flat where I have some large planter pots that I am trying to grow vegetables in.

However, the lettuce seems wilted and slightly pale leaves (almost a yellow hint to them). The tomatoes seem better but still don't seem to be flourishing. I have used a premium potting mix, and for the tomato pots I bought tomato potting mix.

I have used an all round liquid fertilizer also. They receive good amount of sun a,d watering.

Can anyone help please?

Donald,

New Zealand.
    , 20181121_124459.jpg 20181121_124509.jpg 20181121_124517.jpg

Gail-Steman likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Hello @Donaldjb Welcome to GS and nice to have you with us :)

I'm unable to help you as I don't grow vegetables sorry but we have many members who do and will help when on line.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Welcome, Donald! The first pot of lettuce looks pretty good--it may be getting a bit too much sun. Can you move it to where it would be in shade after 2 p.m.? The second pot--replant. I don't think that is going to do much. Lettuce is a cool weather crop, and doesn't like much heat.
    Your tomato could do with a little less water, and don't fertilize it until it starts looking better and setting new shoots. What variety of tomato is it, please--cherry, regular, or one of the "big" hybrids?

Sjoerd and Gail-Steman like this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ditto what MG said ! Tomatoes like a deep watering then let it dry a bit ! Looks like you are using a potting soil that does not retain water well ! Most commercial potting mixes are like that ! Next time you plant one mix some regular garden soil with the potting mix ! That will help it retain water ! When you water,, sit it in a container and let it soak,,then let it drain ! The soaking of the soil is better that just watering and letting it run through the mix ! It will not hurt them to let the soil dry a bit between waterings ! Lettuce looks ok but not knowing what the temps are there,,Just guessing that temperature has something to do with it ! This looks like an iceberg type or a Simpson ! Try a Bibb type,, they do well in Texas heat and may do well in NZ !
    That yellow tint is normal for some varieties !

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Sjoerd and Gail-Steman like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The lettuce:
    The lettuce looks not too bad for my eyes. Perhaps a little less water, as when the leaves have a too great a turgor, the leaves will collapse from the weight. If you are feeding them then I would expect that you might give them some a food that has a bit extra nitrogen (once ought to be enough)... although I have to say that I do not fiddle with my lettuce much--I set the plantlets out and just leave them. I give them a bit of water now and again if the climate is too dry for days on end.

The toms:
    Mate, I don't know what to make of your tom plant. As Mart said, there are indeed tom sorts that have yellowish leaves; however, what your plant in the foto is presenting does not look normal to me. The pattern of the yellowing and browning just do not look right to me. My first impression is that they have been getting too much water, and perhaps too much feed (for the time in their growth cycle). I do not begin feeding my toms until they show flowers; or depending upon how the season is going, until I see the first little green fruit.

To be honest, I do not have a great deal of experience with growing veg in containers---it is quite different to growing in the soil, but in time perhaps we can get a handle on your probs. I do not know if you live on the North or South island, but when I was in NZ, I noticed that the climate was anything but hot and dry. You may need to employ a poly tent or something like that, as toms love hot, dry climate--heat on the leaves and heat on their roots...with night-time temps also warmish.

Good luck with your attempts there and please do keep us informed.
    You have good info from MG and Mart--they are two of the most experienced gardeners that we have on here.

Cayuga Morning and Gail-Steman like this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

on the tomato: how much water and fertilizer have you given it so far? it looks like it isn't getting enough fertilizer to me and that it has been too dry at times. the brown spots look like lack of water damage.
    are you pouring copious amounts of water on it until the water runs through? are you leaching out any fertilizer in the soil? or has it gotten constant rain?

pick off all the nasty looking leaves first. then before you water your plant check to make sure the soil is dry-ish. check this by putting your index finger in it up to the middle joint. water if it is dry or obviously wilted from being dry and don't be afraid to give it a gallon of water. the larger the plant the more it needs. the brown spots could be fertilizer damage or damage from being too dry as a young plant. not positive. it doesn't look like disease to me from the photo but there is always the possibility. hopefully not though.

Container growing is a challenge. not an easy task to balance the needs of the plant through water and fertilizer.
    as I look over the tomato plant.. by chance has anyone sprayed for broad leaf weeds around your plants? have you smelled lawn chemicals in the air. 2-4d travels through the air and is actually enough to damage the plant for the whole season. it doesn't have to come in direct contact with the spray. drift is enough to do the damage.
    Is that a squash in the photo before the tomato? that looks very dry to me. it looks wilted.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

I thought it needed fertilizer too Carolyn ! Failed to mention that ! I stil think that its a problem with the potting mix not retaining the water ! It just runs through and none is staying for the tomato ! That will also leach out whatever fertilizer has been used !

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am inclined to be with you Mart, on the soil mix. I myself do not use pure commercial soil when I pot things up. I make my own and it tends to be a bit bland, so that as time goes by, I can add fertilizer myself...that way I can monitor and control the level of feeding.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree with all of the above. I am wondering if it is a soil problem & maybe not the right kind of watering.

I have had good luck growing tomatoes in pots on my back stoop. I use a mix of compost (homemade), peat, regular soil & some potting mix without fertilizer in it. I prefer it without fertiller because then I can add my own at the right time. If your climate is hot & dry & you might miss a watering or two, then I add water moisture crystals near the root ball. It is "cheating" but growing vegies in pots can be tricky with the water. You don't want them to dry out too long. Wilting is not great. And you don't want to water them too much. I have been known to stick an umbrella over mine when we had weeks of rain!!

Gail-Steman and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

You also might want to add a bit of epsom salts to the tomato. Just a thought.

12. mart

mart Strong Ash

Yes ! Good Idea ! About a tablespoon or a little more stirred into the top of the soil and watered in !

Gail-Steman likes this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Epsom salts may well help; however, the yellowing pattern is not typical for MgSo4-7H2O deficiency.
    Your potted plant probs are interesting to see, I hope that you will post more about the probs and how the plants are coming along.

Gail-Steman and Cayuga Morning like this.
  14. Cayuga Morning

SJ, what symptoms are indicative of a magnesium deficiency?

Gail-Steman likes this.
  15. SamIAm

SamIAm New Seed

The lettuces almost looks to me like they could have some damage from wind, lying over and some broken leaves like that. Is there any chance of that?

Gail-Steman likes this.
  16. mart

mart Strong Ash

If it helps or not,, potting soil is essentially sterile and has nothing except what you give it ! If it doesn`t help,,it will not hurt either ! I would add it just in case !!

Gail-Steman and Sjoerd like this.