vegetable garden layout

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by 102christa, Feb 9, 2016.

1. 102christa

102christa Seedling

I had my first vegetable garden this year which was a bit chaotic since we didn't know any better and planted the stuff to close together. The butternut did really well but the watermelons never bore fruit. So now it's a clean start but I really want to set up a workable system.

I have a lot of extra bricks laying around and was thinking of dividing the garden into 90cm plots. The bigger stuff like butternuts and watermelon I can plant 1 per plot or depending on the species 2 or 3 of the smaller stuff.

But I also want to leave some space for insect repellent plants like lemon balm or marygolds... So then I thought 90cm - 20cm - 90cm with the herbs in the 20cm spaces but then the bricks will use to much space. Maybe take some of those long plastic containers, cut the bottoms out and plant them in the ground with the herbs in them to contain them (I don't want them taking over either).

I just think if I can kind of divide the garden up it will be easier to maintain since it's only me and occasionally Petrus who helps me in the garden.

Any advice will be HIGHLY appreciated.

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well 102, if I read this right...you are asking for advice on making a compartmental garden, is that right?

It is difficult to do from here, as I do not know how much land we are talking about here. I can tell you that I compartmentalize my own veggie garden. It is divided into four compartments that are more or less equal. I also have a small greenhouse that I grow my toms and cues in.

The four sections are divided by a grass path running north-south and a wood chip path running east-west.

I can properly rotate my veggies this way and as the crops come to an end, I simply plant green manure.

You didn't ask for thoughts other than the division of your plot; but since you are a beginning gardener, I would suggest that after you divide your garden, you begin by giving your soil a bit of attention to be sure that its structure, "richness" and pH is to your liking.

Another possibility is employing the technique called "raised beds". You are in S.A., so I am not sure if this is a good choice for you as raised beds tend to dry out a little quicker than a non-raised plot. Of course, I do not know how the weather there is where you live.
    I will only say that should you decide to use raised beds, be sure that you dig down deeply enough to break-up the pan so that the beds will have proper drainage.

I expect that you will get quite a few folks offering advice to you...good luck with your plans, and as always please keep us posted with foto's and commentary.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Frank likes this.
  4. 102christa

102christa Seedling

Sjoerd I'd say it's roughly 3 x 5 m. I think the problem I have now is that I really want to add some insect repellent plants but I know you can't just stick mint in the ground except if you want a mint garden.

Weather here is supposed to be afternoon showers in summer and much dryness in winter but this season the weather is very unpredictable. It was very dry and now we get cloudbursts so really the ground is either very dry or very wet. But I think if it dries out quicker raised beds won't be the best choice especially for the autumn months.

Thanks for the advice, I've never in my life thought of the pH of soil but I'm definitely going to check it out now!

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya 102, Well, there are other plants that are good insect repellents. Tagetes, Tropaeolum, Satureja, Chrysanthemums and others. I know that the mint can be invasive. Pity about that.
    The unpredictability of the weather these days is making it difficult to plan over here as well.

Advertisement
  6. 102christa

102christa Seedling

DSC_0272-320x180[1].JPG DSC_0271-320x180[1].JPG
    I did my divisions now for the planting. I'm going to put a lot of catnip at the back against the wall. It's apparently good for keeping bugs away and it will make the cat happy. I'll put some mint and lemon balm in the pots. I'm definitely planting marigolds as well, but I'll share some space in some of the blocks for that.

As for veggies this time of year I've got seeds for kale, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, beetroot, carrots and in a month or so peas. I think I'll put the peas next to the fence and the marigolds in the rest of their blocks. I'm going to tackle one block at a time, test the pH see if it needs anything. When I planted the pots I saw the ground underneath is so nice and moist at the moment it almost made me wish I was a plant!

Attached Files:

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ha, ha, ha...."Almost made you wish you were a plant". Chuckle. That must have looked awfully good.

Your plans sound really good and exciting--lots of different types of veg and protective blooms. The foto's show clearly how you are laying your veggie plot out.

You mentioned using some catnip--what species of nepeta will you choose?
    An interesting note for you may be that our name for Tagetes (marigolds) is Afrikaantjes. I plant them each to protect my greenhouse plants and to protect the outside garden. It is so helpful and lovely to look at as well.

8. 102christa

102christa Seedling

We call them Afrikanertjies :) Ek is seker ons sal mekaar se taal kan verstaan!

IMG-20160213-WA0003-320x180.jpg
    I don't know what kind of catnip it is, it's a Sparke Ayres packet. But I already had to cover it since the cat decided to dig up the seedlings.... It might be getting to cold to get them started but I have a sneaky suspicion it's going to be a warm winter. I never knew cats could dig holes like that, she's worse than my dogs!

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Natuurlijk verstaan wij elkaars taal. We zingen hier nog Afrikaanse liedjes: "Je moe nie huil nie, je moe nie treur nie" en "Sarie Marais". Ken je die?

Oh well, I was just going to say that there are low and tall types of this plant. Ach, but it is already planted.
    Remarkable-- that cat of yours. I like your solution though. I had to employ just such a technique to protect my tulips and crocuses. I think that Jerry Sullivan also had problems with digging animals.
    But the cat, I am surprised.

Good luck with them, meid.