Vining zucchini vs. Bush zucchini

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by carolyn, Jul 16, 2012.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Just looking for your experience in growing both of theses types of plants. Does a vining plant grow better or withstand the pest population better than bush types? I planted 20 bush zucchini and at least 1/2 of then have wilted down and died. Will the vining type hold up better than the bush type? or should I be planting new ones every week?

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Have you checked around the roots for squash bugs ?? Or have they made and just are dieing off ?

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Mart, I know they are being attacked by the vine borers and I am trying to keep them healthy and I am planting new bush plants but I was wondering if there was a difference in how well the vining ones do as opposed to the bush ones...Do the vining ones put down new roots at the leaf nodes like pumpkins do? Will they respond better than bush ones if they get attacked by the vine borers?

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

As long as its a squash or zuchinni you are going to have the same problem with them. I had them earlier in the season but finally got them killed off with daily spraying. I used the permethrin spray. The thing is by the time you see them, they are already in the roots. If you are planting new ones, start spraying them now.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks Mart, That was what I was wondering. I heaped the DE and sprinkled some Dragoon dust at the base of the new plants and also worked a copious amount of DE into the soil when I transplanted new ones. I wonder if there is only one cycle of them for the season and if it is possible to plant them later to get a decent crop. I guess time will tell. I hope to have a new crop in about 50 days.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

I find they are fewer as the season goes on !! Mine were in a mating frenzy. Fall I rarely see them. But spring and summer its a continuous battle.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I need them for my farmers markets so I am hoping to be able to catch the end of the market season at least. I planted 20 r so and am down to about 5 plants that are kind of bearing :( . Thanks for responding. I appreciate it.

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

You try to do mostly organic don`t you ? Go to the dollar store and get a cat flea spray with pyrethrin in it. Pyrethrin is on the approved organic list. Mix two or three TBSP with a squirt of dish soap and water in a spray bottle, and spray the plants with it. It will take care of those bugs. You may have to spray them daily for a few days but you will get them.