Wallpaper Over Fiberboard and Plaster

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by vtgardener, Dec 29, 2007.

1. vtgardener

vtgardener New Seed

My 70+ year old cape home has both fiberboard and plaster on the walls covered with wallpaper. I would guess the wallpaper itself to be 12-15 years old. It's in dire need of replacing. When I tried using wallpaper remover in my bedroom the fiberboard began coming apart as well. Now I have this interesting textured wall that I painted. That's what I have.

What I want to do is either remove the wallpaper without destroying what's beneath it or else paint the wallpaper. Since I clearly have no idea what I'm doing any suggestions would be appreciated.

vtgardener

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. redgo
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. chevy
      Replies:
      Views:

3. monica

monica New Seed

I didn't quite get how you got the 'interesting textured wall'?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It's hard to get wallpaper off either fibreboard or plasterboard unless the surface was treated before the wallpaper was put on the walls. I think, unless you really want 'interesting yextured walls' throughout your home, that I'd paint over the wallpaper. Ask at your neareat DIY store which is the best type of paint to use and whether wallpaper could be applied over it in the future.

5. grannybrooks

grannybrooks New Seed

Wallpaper on plaster walls

Hi VT,

I used to own a house w/plaster walls & wallpaper in EVERY room. We used a wallpaper scraper & a mixture of fabric softener & water in a squirt bottle. Yes, the walls did look like a golf course w/all the divots but after removing the wallpaper we had a guy come in & spray texture on all the walls...they looked wonderful! It really wasn't very expensive either. I have heard that you can do the texuring yourself but I didn't want to...personal preference. Good luck!
    Grannybrooks