Wasted Days and Wasted Nights

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by blissful photons, Jan 31, 2013.

1. blissful photons

blissful photons In Flower

After thirty years of trying to grow plants borderline with my climate, there is to be no more wasted time.

As most of you know, planting, watering, and overall thinking and worry about certain plantings can involve tremendous effort.

This Japanese Maple (Lace Bark), and this Holly Fern(which should have thrived, but didn't), are all history. Yank Yank. I've also got about fifty Agave to yank.

Come and get them.

From now on only plants that thrive here will be planted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Odif
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. 2ofus
      Replies:
      Views:

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Yep! Time for something new :-D

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Blissful, I learned the same lesson the hard way. I've planted things that were grasshopper magnets, that didn't like our soil, and just plain died from frustration. Now if it lives and thrives, I love it, and if it doesn't I chalk it up to experience. Lordy, do I have a load of experience!

5. blissful photons

I know exactly what you mean.

It isn't the money involved, it's the TIME and EFFORT.

Three, four , five years is a long time to learn when you are dealing with such long term plantings that you had hoped to thrive. And our time is so limited.

That is why I treasure trees - to see a mature specimen that is four times older than yourself with no scars on the trunk and bark.

And another reason I respect gardeners - we're nuts.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I too learned this lesson the hard way. But there is another factor at play in my part of the world - Which is that people wanting to out-do each other.

So that's why many people over here often pay a lot and buy exotic rain forest plants imported from Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand... All this they do, just so they can show off to everyone that they can easily afford it!

The plants of course don't last for more then a season. However the plant nursery guys over here are too happy to see this - Because then such people will again buy more exotic plants! And so the cycle continues endlessly.

I guess this is why I am often seen as a misfit by all my neighbors. Because I like to grow own my own tomatoes, onions, and chilies - Which they wouldn't dare, as it might give someone else the impression that they are now too poor to afford vegetables from the store... So they would instead plant something else which is super ugly, will give no fruit - But will cost and small fortune!

I think nobody explains it better (about such issues in my comunity) then late and great Louis Armstrong, (see his video below)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELKNyDdNCbY

Yup - We are all nuts!!! But I like being a nutcase... :p

7. blissful photons

You're nuts S-H.

Welcome to the elite nut-case gardening society. And we're not talking about Pecans here.

I got a request for you. I'll never make a trip to your Homeland, but can you take some pics of some of the homes and landscapes in your hometown?

I have always been curious and fascinated how different cultures go about their gardening.

Are there any Live Oaks planted there (Quercus virginiana)?

8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Well, the only thing which grows over here successfully - Are all types of coconuts, palm trees, 3 different types of mangrove trees, and the banyan trees too. The Neem tree does very well in this climate also!

For a little color, the golden shower tree, and the gulmohar tree also grows very well here - All this is because we are a coastal semi desert, and our soil is a bit salty too. The underground water table too is very high. In some places it's just 3 feet deep, while in others it can be 16 feet. This of course is all water from the Arabian sea.

Anyway, I will soon post some pictures of my crazy community! But you can get a general idea of how things are like over here - By watching this old video of mine! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qalwgPL3Lcw

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'm in the same learning stage right now too. First of all, I made the mistake of thinking that I was in the same zone as where I previously lived about 30 miles from here. NOT! So from here on out, if they can't make it with just a little bit of help from me... they're outta here.
    Well... with the exception of a few favorites that will be kept in containers and babied over the winter... and then there's a couple of plants that I just love and will restart from seed every year if I have to.
    Oh what the heck... I'll do my best to make gardening easier but I'm still going to have plants that make me happy no matter how much effort I have to put into them! :stew2: