water For The Bees

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by eclecticgarden, Mar 14, 2016.

1. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

I found the perfect centerpiece for my "bee bath" at the Master Gardener show this weekend. I keep the waterer at the end of my garden and have rocks in it for the bees to land on so they don't drown. When I saw this concrete skep I just had to have it.
    20160313_181900~2~2.jpg 20160313_181900~2~3~2.jpg

Philip Nulty, kate, Donna S and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Perfect and I'm sure your bees will enjoy their special water feature. The skep looks just right and I wouldn't have been able to resist it either.

Philip Nulty and eclecticgarden like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh wow, how perfect! I love your skep in the watering station, and I'm so glad you understand that bees don't swim!

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That's great Eclect. It is a thoughtful idea to add the little old-fashioned hive, and you already have a taker!---Chapeau.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I love the hive you've added. I have never thought of making a bee watering station before, in fact, never heard of one. I'm sure it would also be visited by hornets etc. also so maybe it should be placed in an area that's not heavily used by people? I'm trying to figure out where to put one though where it will be out of the way. I'm sure it will not be as attractive as yours is but I don't think the bees will mind. ;) Do you treat it the same as a bird bath as far as cleaning goes and how to you keep the gravel clean. I'm sorry for so many questions but I've never seen one before.

7. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

No problem 2ofus. I have four bee hives, so that's why I keep the watering station. If you don't provide water the bees tend to wander til they find some. In my case, I have a horse farm next door and I didn't want them hovering around their horse trough. Of course, there's no way to train a bee to only go to one specific water source, but mine stays pretty active so I'm pretty sure it draws them away from the horse farm.

I only clean it out occasionally, when it's starting to look bad. Actually, all I do is run water over the gravel with a little pressure until it starts to run clear. The bees actually seem to prefer it somewhat dirty. Think about where you normally see them getting water... mud puddles, sitting rainwater. They aren't overly particular.

I've never had a problem with the hornets. I'm sure they must come around, but I haven't seen them.

You just have to make sure there is a place for the bees to land. I prefer gravel/rocks, but I've heard of people using sticks or even pieces of styrofoam.

Have fun with it and be creative. The bees will appreciate it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Philip Nulty and 2ofus like this.
  8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh, what a great find and being concrete it should last a long time.
    I have two bird baths out front that the birds never use so this year I have plans to turn them into butterfly and bee watering holes.

9. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

That sounds like a great idea Toni. Personally, I enjoy walking out there and watching the bees in the water. There's something relaxing about it.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. kate

kate In Flower

Brilliant Idea!
    I have seen the odd bee here today. waterfeature.jpg I do have a water feature but its not on yet and its away under my window so I hope they don't go in it when it active.

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have a very pretty blue bird bath that the birds won't use. It's too deep and, being glazed pottery it's too slick for the birds but filled with pea gravel it should work great for bees.