Watering indoor plants

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Edlou8181, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Edlou8181

Edlou8181 Seedling

OK Friends.
    As most of you all know,I bought a indoor watering hose,and I need your help.
    When the plants are outside I don't have a watering problem.BUT
    Now they're all inside and I guess because of my hot air heat,they seem to dry out faster.
    Some of the plants have saucers to collect overflow,some don't.
    I don't want to overwater the plants and I never know WHEN is enough.
    Any ideas
    ed

[​IMG]
    the problem ( photo / image / picture from Edlou8181's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The change from outside to inside is hard on the plants, so if you have a humidifier set it close to the plants. (the humidity inside is much less than outside and very shocking to them when you move them in). How much you water is a guess at best. your soil/ potting mix composition is going to determine how much holing capacity it has. If there is a lot of sand in it the water will just run through. if there is a lot of peat it will hold quite a bit more. When you water some water will go all the way through the pot into the saucer, which is okay, but you don't want them standing in the left over water for days at a time. So, after a few hours pour it out. you may want to consider a weak fertilizer solution for them also, once a week or so. If they are growing they will need more than if they are just vegetating. Check the plants every few days by putting your finger in the soil, all the way to your first knuckle. If it's dry water, if it's not, let it go another day. I hope this helps some, Ed. Have a good week.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

You are right Ed. With the heater going during the winter, things will dry out faster. When I water my indoor plants, I make sure to give them a good enough drink that water seeps out into the trays/saucers. I then empty those out so they aren't standing in water.

5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Hi Ed, Looks like you have a nice group of plants taking over the room there! :D
    I find that you have to treat each and every plant according to it's needs. For instance; they don't all need to be watered at the same time because some won't need water as often. You kind of need to fuss with your plants and get to know them (if that makes any sense)
    Pay attention to how they are doing in their new indoor space.
    Carolyn's advice about checking the soil is good, and it's fun to get a bit of dirt under your fingernails once in a while during the cold months! I use a mister on some plants to provide moisture, but not all plants like the misting on their foliage.

carolyn likes this.
  6. miles.o

miles.o New Seed

What about water crystals? They retain water and release it slowly when the soil is dry.