Watering where you live

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by camom, Jul 2, 2008.

1. camom

camom New Seed

Where do you live and how often do you water?

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I live in Arizona and I water something in my yard just about every day. One thing one day, something different the next day. Everything gets watered a couple of times a week. Some things more. Depends. It's been really dry here. dooley

4. camom

camom New Seed

Yes its dry here too in California and I am watering the plants daily by hand, the land lord only wants the sprinklers run twice a week for now. But I am so scared the plants will die so I go out and water them by hand every day :)

5. budagardener

budagardener Seedling

Its been really dry in the hill country of Texas! Drought is more like it. We have just been restricted this week on watering to twice a week with sprinkler systems and three times a week for hand watering. I am not sure much will survive if the temps stay 100+. My annuals have all petered out.
    Drat!

Advertisement
  6. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Coastal NC. I water at least every other day, generally.
    Gardengater

7. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I live in Vermont and currently only water when needed. We have been having a lot of rain. I had not watered in since the weekend. normally this time of year I water once in the morning, those plants that need it and again at night.

8. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I live in Iowa, and no need to water this year. However, I still have to water the baskets underneath the eaves, or on the covered porch, but that's about it. Otherwise, it's survival of the fittest here. I will water the gardens if we have really hot, drought conditions, but that's not happening this year.

9. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

This time of year I water the containers daily. Everything else is hand-watered 2 or 3 times a week. I just don't believe in sprinklers, even though everyone else uses them and their plants are fine. Seems like my plants wilt every time I think about sprinklers.

We never have to water September-May.

10. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I live in the Norwegian Arctic, in Lofoten. We have natural spring water from our mountain thru the water taps. So watering is never a problem. I just use a hose when the plants need it or i let mother nature do her thing and only help out when she's busy dumping rain Droopy, and can't be up here....(running from droopy)

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I water my pot plants in the evening since we got some rain but in the summer most all of my plants every evening.

12. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I live in East Texas and water something everyday. Some things get watered twice a day, like hanging baskets. But since I added mulch to my containers, I don't have to water as much. We don't have any watering restriction, thank goodness!

13. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Water? Nearly never. :D Coastal mid-Norway gets a lot of rain. *throwing a bucket of ice cold water after biita*

We had three weeks of very warm and dry weather in late May and early June. All the growing plants needed watering a couple of times per week. If it gets very hot and dry now, once a week will probably be enough, with additional watering here and there. Most of our borders have bark mulch on top of either newspapers or ground cover cloth. That helps.

We never water the lawn.

14. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I never water the lawn either and yet it is still there, somethings I just can't kill. I do water the foundation of the house, seems pretty pointless tho since the house hasn't grown an inch in the 21 years we have been watering it.

But my garden I water every other day mostly, some summers I have had to water early morning and again at night because of the 10 yr drought....which appears to have had such a good time here that it decided to extend it's performance. :rolleyes:

15. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I live in Seattle, WA and I don't water as much as I should be watering this time of year.
    Other wise ditto, Lexxivexx.

16. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

I live right between Tina and Lexxi, but I water every day. But not the prairie-grass lawn. Just the garden beds. I'm on very rocky ground where the water runs right thru, right back down to the aquifer that I pump it out of. I only use one outdoor faucet, and move the sprinkler daily.