Waxing Gibbous

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by marlingardener, Jan 27, 2018.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Not only is my husband trying to teach me the basics of photography, he is also expanding my vocabulary. Who knew "gibbous" (I thought it was a type of monkey).
    He was out with his camera and tripod and the cats, taking photos of the moon. Here is a "waxing gibbous" moon:

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

OMG Jane.....my ribs are sooooo soooore from reading your posting. My bride too.
    Oh dear me, what a thread.
    Gibbous.
    Who's ever heard of that ?!
    Is there any remote chance that your better half is showing-off with his gibbous? hahahaha
    Blimey, I had to go and look that one up.
    Oh Jane, you just won't do.

marlingardener likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gibbous, gibbous - I didn't even know there was such a word!! :rolleyes: I love learning new things. It's even better when we get a fantastic photograph to show us exactly what it means. Many thanks to your husband and to you for broadening my vocabulary. Now who can I impress by dropping gibbous into a conversation? :scheming:

Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Eileen, if you find a way to drop the word "gibbous" into a conversation, please tell me. I'm anxious to impress others with my expanded vocabulary!

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I can just use it over here at any time in any conversation because it isn't a dutch word...but it sounds so posh. Way cool. Thanks again, Jane (aka Marlingibbous).;)

Odif and marlingardener like this.
  7. eileen

Well that was a BIG mistake!! :( I decided to show how clever I was by telling my eldest lad about the gibbous moon. I really should have known better as he's always taken an interest in Astronomy. After about an hour, and a lecture on the different phases of the moon, he had to prod me awake!! :smt015 Next time I'll keep my big mouth shut. :chuckle:

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Eileen, I get talked to about exposures (camera, not lack of clothing), f-stops, and filters. I have no idea what he is talking about, but I feign fascination. After all, at night he could be down at a bar, playing dominoes and drinking beer instead of moon-watching
    I just realized this post could be interpreted as slightly erotic. Completely unintentional, so please don't kick me off the forum!

Odif and Sjoerd like this.
  9. eileen

Oh boy am I glad that Duncan didn't start on about cameras and photography as well. I'd have been comatose if he had. ;) I have a feeling though he would have got on like a house on fire with your husband. :headbang:

marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.
  10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Hey Marlingardener we are having a BLUE MOON tonight and I understand it is also happening across USA. Hope your hubby will be catching it on his camera. :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

KK, my husband is in deep depression. He had his camera all prepped, the tripod set up, and got up at 5 a.m. to dress and go out to take photos. About 5:30 a.m. the clouds rolled in and we couldn't see a thing!
    He did manage to get a picture of the blue moon, and a somewhat dim one of the beginning of the eclipse, but the blood moon and full eclipse were obscured.
    I'm going to bake him something nice to try and cheer him up. The life of an amateur photographer is not an easy one:(.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We live in the middle of the city so the chances of seeing last nights Super Blue Blood Moon total eclipse was nil. I am hoping to see videos on the news though.

13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Marlingardener, we quickly had our dinner and rush out to see the moon. As quickly as we rushed out we had to quickly run into the house because it started to rain :(. In this part of the world it starts just around 7pm right up to 12midnight so we have a long window of opportunity to see it. When the rain stop in about an hour or so we went out to see again and it was just darkness because of cloud cover. Then we decided to check every now and then and there was only darkness in the sky :( right up to pass midnight and we decided to go and sleep :sleeping:. Well we finally got glimpse of the moon in the morning at 7am :rolleyes:.
    An opportunity of a life time missed because of cloud cover, err can I have a piece of the cake too!!!:D

Toni we had to do the same too!!!

marlingardener likes this.