We have coyotes..

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by katsback, Apr 6, 2007.

1. katsback

katsback In Flower

Every spring a new litter is born,how many survive i dont know. What i do know is that their out there.
    We hear them howling at night pretty close to the house,sometimes its rather frightening how they sound.
    We keep all our pets in because of it at night.
    I know theres has to be a better way to deal with them,then killing them. I find that cruel!
    Any suggestions?

2. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

They are around here too.We hear them
    all time howling .They run in packs and usually follow the creek.Every now and then one will run across the road
    or will be seen dead on the road.They will come up near houses if you have chickens are rabbits but they don't usually bother anything except those kind of animals.I've heard they harm cats and dogs.I don't know if this is true are not.

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

We have coyotes here too. You can hear them around dusk yipping and howling. I used to see a pair running thru the back field but have not seen them for quite some time. Late last fall there were about 6 that were hit on the highway behind my house. They must have been chasing something to all have been hit.
    I haven't seen the pair since that day and there sure has been an increase in the number of rabbits around here! I can still hear some in the bush, but they seem to stay there. Lately I've noticed a fox in the fields.

4. EastTennGardener

EastTennGardener New Seed

Coyotes

We have coyotes/and or wild dogs in our area as well. My husband shot a video of one a few months ago down near the creek. He was just sitting beneath the trees watching some deer in the area. We lost our chickens we believe due to them. Something had dug underneath the chicken coop door and dragged them off. A couple of barn cats have also come up missing recently. I hear them howling and sometimes our dogs will howl along with them, but we don't see them very much.

Advertisement
  5. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Cor....all we have are squirels and foxes! Are Coyotes ever a threat to people?

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

We have many coyotes here in Arizona. Actually they are found in all 48 lower states. I love to listen to them howl at the moon. They are just communicating with each other. Their catch of prey talk is different and starts as a series of excited yipping tnat ends with a different sounding howl. That sound is rather blood-chilling as you know something has just died. There have been cases of people, especially children being bitten as housing developments keep moving into their territory. When I worked at the Chrysler Test Track in Arizona and had occasion to go out on the grounds at night, there was a coyote who used to walk around with me. He would parallel my moves at about 10 feet away or so, never closer. The native American culture considers the coyote a "trickster" who is always pulling some sort of stunt. If you let your dog or cat run loose at night, sooner or later it will be a coyote dinner. Happens all the time here.
    dr

7. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Yes, we have lots of coyotes here. Go out with your dog at night if you value them. There's not much else you can do but live with them. Some people like to kill eveything that moves but if you notice they're never very happy folks to begin with. 8)

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Thats so true Bethie.The wild hogs here are a threat to everything.Dogs for sure as dogs don't seem to understand those odd looking animals will kill you.

9. digital flower

digital flower Seedling

I read somewhere that Coyotes are found in every county in the US. That includes NYC! I saw one here a couple of weeks ago and we live in the heavily populated suburbs. I spotted one at work (about 50 miles from my house) and it had a feral dog with it, which I guess happens quite often. I think you have to live and let live but take precautions such as with your pets.

It is a wild, wild world out there :smt002 :smt003

10. Calomaar

Calomaar Deputy's Friend

The coyotes, along with the wolves, when in a pack, and hungry are a threat to the horses at the barn here. They have a Lama, which has adopted the horses as his family. Horses are afraid and will run away from attacking predators, while Lamas attack them and can be quite successful defending the horses, and themselves.

Tom

11. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

I love listening to the coyotes here during the summer. We used to have one rather scruffy fellow that would pass through the back yard when he thought I wasn't home, but haven't seen him since we fenced our place in.
    A side note, if you have coyotes, and chickens dissappear, try to find the carcass. If just the breast is torn out, your problem is actually a skunk.

12. Desert Rat

Right you are C.P. Skunks are a far greater danger to chickens here than coyotes are.
    dr

13. katsback

katsback In Flower

Wow,skunks? I never knew they were that way.I figured maybe raccoons, their known to be mean, but i guess i never thought about what skunks eat.

14. Desert Rat

I really don't know what drives a skunk. The ones around here don't seem to kill to eat. They will get in a chicken house and go into a frenzy and just tear up every chicken in the house. Wierd critters.
    dr

15. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I had no idea skunks would kill or eat chickens! You learn something new everyday! :)