We need your expert opinions - keep wallpaper or not?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Boatnut, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Boatnut

Boatnut New Seed

We'll be selling our house in a few years and have started thinking about changes and improvements we need to make that will both increase the marketability of the house AND be worth the effort and expense.

We have striped wallpaper in shades of beige, mauve and blue in the two story foyer that runs through the upstairs and downstairs hallways. The paper was put up when the house was built in 15 years ago.

Please take a look at the pictures posted at:

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/boatn ... 004lo8.jpg

Please then give us your honest opinion on whether the paper should stay or go.

BTW: The wallpaper is still in great condition!

TIA for your comments.

2. Loading...

3. mrs greenthumb

mrs greenthumb New Seed

your striped wallpaper

I looked at your photos and I do not think that you need to remove the wallpaper, if it is clean.
    As a "house stager" I help people to get their homes ready for selling, and the most important thing when you get to that point is to reduce Clutter!!!
    If you have too much furniture in a room, for example it puts people off, as they cannot see the size of the room properly.
    Make sure that all your paint colors are soft, not harsh, as most buyers are encouraged by soft tones.
    It is well worth a can of paint, if some of the areas in your house are beginning to show their age. Fresh paint, especially white or cream, makes a world of difference.
    Hope this helps.
    any other questions, let me know!
    Ena

4. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

The stripes give a very modern look, and what a job it was I would imagine, how nicely they are matched, your furnishing do not appear as modern, however, so maybe you could tone down/soften the stripes with a delicate glaze, I'm pretty sure there is something that can go over paper like that? You will need a buyer who likes stripes for sure!

5. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

Not that I am an expert by any means but I've noticed that when light soft colours are involved dark accent pieces work really nicely. When I saw the brass light fixture I thought one with some black would look great. I recently replaced a brass chandelier with an inexpensive one of dark metal parts and frosted glass. It really transformed the room. I think it came from Overstock.com
    My mother has a colour scheme similar to yours. She added a black gas insert to the cream brick fireplace and went with very dark brown leather furniture. It looks gorgeous.
    I also would add some trim around the doorway in the third pic. and perhaps some moulding where the walls and cieling meet. Although I like the look of natural wood I'm wondering if all the wood of the staircase (except the steps) and trim work were painted the same colour if it would all come together nicely.

muddy

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

In that tall area the stripes look good.

But then I am the one who has wallpaper on one livingroom wall that makes it look like a wall of a log cabin. We have been here almost 20 years, have no plans to sell anytime soon so are decorating it to make us happy.
    :-D

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I like the stripes myself.I would keep
    it.

8. Boatnut

Boatnut New Seed

We have decided to adequately prep the paper (sanding the seams) so we can paper over it with a nice neutral paper.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

9. Boatnut

Boatnut New Seed

Well.....after rethinking things we decided to keep the house and not move. The wallpaper is being stripped off the foyer walls.

As the builder's painter/wallpaper guy did not properly prepare the walls for paper we are doing some damage to the drywall as it is being removed. (We are scoring it and using a power steamer).

We will hire a drywall contractor to skim coat the walls to make them presentable for a primer coat and top coat.

I have posted a pic of a color we are considering at another thread.

In case you do not read it here is the color we are considering.

http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... oodam8.jpg

Thoughts?

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A big improvement Boatnut!!! :D

11. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Ah, you've decided to stay, after all,
    well that should make all the work you're doing feel very rewarding,
    :D knowing that you'll be the ones to enjoy your lovely new foyer.

I personally think that the new decor will make your home feel more peaceful,
    from the moment you step in the front door, with all the hectic stripes gone.