Weeds worth keeping

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Beeker, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

After it being brought to my attention that I haven't been posting to threads much lately, and at the same time finding many weeds around that are edible, medicinal, functional or just pretty, I've decided to start this thread to let people know that I'm still here and to promote a special and important topic.

Weeds do get a bad rap and I think it is often undeserved.

For example, everybody knows about the dandelion. An annoying weed to so many who want to sport prize-winning lawns...
    but the leaves are great for salads, the flowers for wine and the root as a coffee substitute; all of which have medicinal purposes as well.

So, I am posting a "weed" that I found out recently is very beneficial to have in your yard and is often found as another spoiler to would-be award-winning lawns and decorative walkways; the broadleaf plantain.
    I have decided that I love this weed and will not only leave it alone in my yard, but also help it to flourish in a section of my garden in place of my spinach. The leaves and seeds are edible and packed with nutrients. This plant serves as a natural remedy for problems with the digestive system and also as a topical treatment for bug bites, minor burns or open wounds.

I invite others to post more weeds worth keeping.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh, good!
    Anyway... I love plantain as a poultice. It is good for bee stings. Crush, chew or even steam them lightly and use the bruised leaf as a compound like bandage as quick as you can get it on the site.

Lambs Quarter is a nutritious salad additive.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    Philip Nulty and Beeker like this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

In the south we love our Poke weed. One of the earliest spring greens. Can not be eaten raw. But when cooked is very similar to spinach or sauteed and mixed with scrambled eggs for a main dish. Must be boiled about 10 to 15 minutes and drained, then saute in about 1/4 C canola oil, when done add two or three eggs and scramble together, salt to taste. Or no eggs and eat same as spinach. Tender spring stems can be peeled and sliced then fried like okra.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hmmm....plantains have been the bain of my existence for about 10 years. We don't use herbicides at my house and the back yard lawn got pounded when our kids were young. Plantains took over & I have been attempting to banish them ever since. I stoop & pull 3,4, or 5 every other day. For 10 years. I am not exaggerating. Well maybe a little. I don't stoop & pull during the winter.

But I should enter into the spirit of this thread (it is a great idea for a thread Beeker. Don't let my plantain comments dissuade you.). I like mullein. I let it grow in my garden. I love the fuzzy rosette & the tall spikey flowering spike. I love the sulfur yelow flowers. I just make sure to hack it back before it sets seed. Otherwise I'd be stooping & pulling plantain AND mullein EVERY day.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Mary... I was just weeding yesterday and ran across a mullien... I was going to post it was a "good" weed.

Dried Mullien makes a very good tea for respiratory issues. I have used it when very sick with a terrible cough. I even sent some to a stewbie a few years ago.

Purselane.... is a grat salad addition... very rich in selenium, too.

7. Cayuga Morning

And here I was only growing it for its beauty. Good to know about its medicinal qualities.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Right now you have to part the weeds back to find any of my vegetables (except the eggplant which is 4 ft tall). But here in Texas, thats a good thing. Tomatoes are no longer cooking on the vine. Just part the weeds back and find nice red tomatoes. Lost many to sunburn. Bell pepper has no blisters. Ect, ect .

9. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

That's a great idea, Mart!
    I have various grasses that are trying to grow in my garden. One year I did let it go. I don't have the need like Mart does, but I just didn't have the schedule to allow for me to get in and weed regularly. I don't think I'll let it happen again. Now, my biggest garden bane is carpet weed. I know it is edible, but I don't see any reason to let it grow in my garden. It's just driving me crazy.
    Although milkweed is a "weed," I have actually purchased some seeds for the orange variety and plan on planting them around my garden to attract pollinators. It also has medicinal properties that makes it a keeper for me!

10. Cayuga Morning

Hi Beeker,

I love Butterfly weed too. I agree, I don't think of it as a weed at all, although I have encountered it growing wild on hikes. I love its bright orange color. Let us know how it does in your garden. I have not succeeded in getting it to flourish in mine.

I just followed your link to see carpet weed. It is the bane of my existence too!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. mart

mart Strong Ash

We do not have carpet weed here but its actually a pretty little plant !!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Poison ivy is pretty too.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

True, both of those are pretty.
    I wouldn't mind the carpet weed so much in a brick walkway. It is somewhat charming, but I don't want it taking nutrients away from my veggies. The carpet weed is annoying enough because I can't get rid of it and it really isn't much worth keeping, but grass growing in my garden drives me crazy!
    Poison ivy does have cute little flowers, but I don't want it anywhere near me.
    I read, years ago, that England imported poison ivy to help prevent beach erosion because it is the only type of ivy that can survive so many different types of soils and environments, including the salty, sandy beaches.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. Cayuga Morning

I actually was being serious when I said poison ivy was pretty. It has very glossy green green leaves. Tends to look very healthy. Too bad it is such a scourge.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Dandelion is the only weed i allow grow in my garden,..i have used the leaf in salads,..its a must for me as i keep two tropical fish tanks with Silver Dollar Fish,..they are Vegetarian and love to munch away at fresh Dandelion leaves:like:

Beeker likes this.
  16. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Cayuga Morning, I really do agree that poison ivy is pretty too. It does have pretty flowers and looks gorgeous in the autumn when it turns bright red. I used to be immune to it, but now I'm very sensitive. I read somewhere, and it was confirmed by a farmer I spoke to at a fair, that if you have a goat eat the poison ivy and then drink the goat's milk, you will develop an immunity to poison ivy. I really want to try that!

Philip Nulty, that is great information!! I have a tropical fish tank too and I will have to try that! I'm sure my fish would be delighted to have some fresh dandelion leaves. My goldfish would probably love it too, but they're pigs anyway. I'll have to go get some right now!
    Thanks!

Philip Nulty likes this.