Weird bug in my daylily...Help me find out what it is???

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Sherry8, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I was looking at my picture of my spider man daylily flower and something caught my eye...what could this thing be? I have never seen anything with pinchers on its back end in my flower garden. With my camera phone I was able to bring most of it up on screen, except the part hidden behind part of the flower....I can see the feelers on the right side of the inside of the flower and the pinchers on the left side. The spider man daylily has a bloom about 7 inches so it isn't a small flower head.

July 6, 2016 053 (2).jpg
    July 6, 2016 053 (3).jpg

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

More information might help you out. I live in Wisconsin, below Green Bay, Wi.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. kate

kate In Flower

I knew by the pincers I had seen one before, we get them on Dahlia right inside the petals.
    Earwigs...they are Earwigs.
    K

purpleinopp and Philip Nulty like this.
  5. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Definitely an earwig.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yup, earwig. We are having a banner earwig year here this year. Little buggers love to eat flower petals.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

YUCK....I looked it up and it looks like the female pinchers. I have seen smaller ones when we get too much rain in the flower beds but nothing like this size....I wish I would of pulled it out but by the time I really studied my photo, the daylily closed up. I bet the earwig moved onto another plant.

Thank you so much...I read that if you get them in the house that you can wet some newspapers and check under it in the morning....I bet this would work outdoors too. Now I will have to go back and read if their is anything beneficial about these earwigs...

Netty...that is why I am seeing some deformed petals with pieces missing...thank you...

Philip Nulty and Netty like this.
  9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The pincer is used to grab bugs so possibly they eat bad bugs and just look creepy. They don't bite but if the pincer finds your skin it can give you a little nip, but nothing bad.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Earwigs are the biggest problem in my yard and the only real garden pest I have :smt013 They can devour seedlings in less than a day and seem to like everything, even hollyhocks!! One old man told me one time to pour some soy sauce in a butter dish and set it under a shady leaf. The next morning it will be full of the dead little critters. I guess they like the smell of the soy sauce and because they breathe through their shells they drown in the oil. I've also been told to wet a section of the newspaper and lay it in the flower bed or garden. Same thing, next morning it will be full of them! However they will still be alive so be vey careful as you dispose of it because you don't want to give them a free ride from one spot to another! If you notice little holes chewed in your leaves you can bet its an earwig :rolleyes:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Try hanging a pair of white trousers on a washing line and leaving it out all night. Guarantee they will be covered in them. Never wore those trousers again!

2ofus, kate, stratsmom and 1 other person like this.
  12. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Palustris- my mom had a similar thing happen with grasshoppers and her fresh, clean sheets!!

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Earwigs seem to be particularly fond of Clematis blooms.

14. kate

kate In Flower

Really...:smt026

15. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

We get earwigs here - Yucky little so and so's. I have never done this and maybe it is an 'old wives tale' but put out crumpled up newspaper and they'll come and hide in it. You then burn the paper - FAST before they jump out.

Now that I've said this I think this 'tip' comes from the days of yard burn barrels.

16. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I've read to dig a hole big enough for an empty vegetable can, fill it 1/3rd to 1/2 full of beer and the earwigs will climb down in it and drown. For any squeamish people, the earwigs are probably too drunk to know they drowned.

Islandlife likes this.