Western Red Cedar Woes

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Niall, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Niall

Niall New Seed

Two years ago I planted out 6 Red Western Cedar trees to form a small hedge. About six months later I planted another 12 to extend the hedge. Up until 6 months ago all the trees were growing fine. Now, over the past 6 months, the first batch I have planted out have turned kinda brownish, although the tips are still green. they are still growing bu much slower than the second batch I planted out. They are well watered, get a good few hours of sun a day, are protected from any strong winds. Unsure of what to do...Any help or advice at all would be much appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Niall,
    An arborist I am not. That caveat out of the way, I believe that the term for what is happening to your cedars is called flagging. The term is used to define portions of the branches turning brown and falling off to be replaced with new growth. While unsightly in random locations can be a normal occurrence. Flagging can also be caused by several insects like cicada or a disease called needle cast disease. If you have an extension service near you I would bring them a sample to make certain.

I will take advantage of this post to welcome you to Gardenstew from Chelmsford MA. We are a friendly group from around the world, we love pictures. Stop by some time at the welcome forum and say hello.

Jerry

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Jewell and Frank like this.