wet peat moss

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by katfar3, Mar 27, 2013.

1. katfar3

katfar3 New Seed

I must have been living under a rock, and not a tufa one, for all these years. Have only learned about hypertufa. My gosh I can't wait to get started. But... The peat moss I bought had been stored outside and it is wet. What is the easiest and quickest way to dry it. Somebody please give me an answer soon. Katfar3

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Zinnia
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If you can squeeze as much moisture from it as possible. Then lay it out on a surface that will allow the air to flow around it. This is best done in a warm, airy room and it should dry out naturally.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Sometimes when I see a problem I have a ready solution. However, I doubt that you have the necessary ingredients for a solution. It may give you an idea. Are you familiar with an old style wringer washer? Actually I am only interested in the wringer portion. It would be perfect to extract 95% of the water out of peat moss. I think of it because I do have a wringer and on occasion I use it. You don't have a wringer do you? I have another method involving a towel secured at one end with the material in the middle and twisting the bowl, wringing the water out. Extremely labor intensive and sure to cause achy muscles. If I think of anything else I will pass it along.

Good luck,

Jerry

P.S. Oh, If you get the peat moss too dry it is very difficult to get it wet again.

5. katfar3

katfar3 New Seed

Thanks. Had thought about putting it on a cookie sheet in a warm oven and cracking the oven door to let the moisture escape. Not a good idea,huh.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I agree, not a good Idea. Spreading it out in the warm location would be better. If you do it outside have a tarp ready to cover it up in case of rain.

Jerry

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Or put it in your garden, or containers for your plants, and buy a new bag of peat moss for your intended project? It does wonders for the garden.