What a Difference a Day Makes

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Droopy, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Or in this case, three days.

Some of you might remember this photo from the paddock area:

[​IMG]

We had that amount of snow for several days, then the thaw started. It was a careful thaw that opened with just a little bit of rain and continued with rising temps and a nice, warm wind. All the snow melted down ever so nicely. No flooding or anything dramatic at all.

This is the same area three days after the thaw started:

[​IMG]

After carefully measuring the poles and also taking compression of snow into account we estimate snow depth to 90 cm / 2.9 feet. It might have been a bit more or less.

Right now we're getting some new snow. Forecast says a bit of snow, then a couple of mild days with rain, then some snow, then some rain and finally some freezing temps. I guess we're going to get a nice sheet of ice everywhere. I'm a pessimistic realist.

Sjoerd and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Wow, look at that!
    That is a difference alright.
    90cm is enough to raise an eyebrow.

The melting stage is not always the most attractive and it is slushy and messy to walk in...but of course the real danger is that it freezes and then gets snow on top of that with another ice layer...You'll have to break out the metal shoe spikes.

I'll bet that the horses like being out though.

Droopy likes this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That happened here too! And as much as I am not a fan of snow, it looks SO much nicer than the brownish, melted down stuff we have now.
    Weatherman is calling for rain and mild temperatures this week.

Droopy likes this.
  5. Droopy

Yes Sjoerd, it was hard to walk, but not as hard as it is now with the new layer of snow on top of the slush. The horses enjoy being outside unless we have gale and rain. :D

Netty, I agree, but I'm still glad to see the snow go. I always hope for an early spring you see. But I have to admit that spring in February is very rare here.

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Hi...I was wondering in your part of the world if you had anything like our ice grippers? You put them on your shoes or boots. ( they are usually made of stretchable rubber). They help you to not fall as easily. Some areas call them Yaktracks. Some have little areas of points that grip into the ice and some are like a braided wire. Every winter we set these on the steps going into the garage from our house. You do not want to use them in the house because they make little holes in wood, etc.

Spring does bring such mess to everything but it is well worth the mess and wait.

7. Droopy

Yep, we've got them in all shapes and sizes. I've even got a pair in my handbag. *lol* They're just emergency ones, a single rubber strap to pull over the front of my shoes to walk from A to B. I usually wear some really spiky ones when I'm out walking on ice. They are very good for ice but don't do much in the slush. Most people wear what we call "old ladies' pullovers*. They've got shorter studs but are good for pavements. Even my daughters wear ice grippers when there's ice outside. They get teased by their friends, but they like to walk safely so they don't mind a bit of teasing. We've also got winter footwear with integrated spikes under the soles. We flip them open when we need them and fold them back when we go inside. Very handy.