What are they thinking ?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by mart, Jan 24, 2019.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

As a general rule I will not eat anything unless I, or someone I know, grows it ! Especially anything I eat fresh ! Rarely will I buy anything from the stores as frozen but our local store had broccoli with cheese sauce from a well known producer so thought I would buy a couple for emergencies ! Well, I decided to try one and the recommended cooking method was microwave cooking !~ OK,, did as they said and added an extra minute since my microwave is 900 watt and the instruction was for a 1000 watt ! It was the nastiest thing I have tried to eat in a while ! Top part of the broccoli was a mush and the stem part was tough as boot leather ! But did manage a few bites before I added it to the dogs food ! Then I read on the back that it is not from the USA and that you must make sure that it is done to 160 degrees ! Now I ask,, how does one check a 1/2 inch chunk of broccoli to see what temperature it is ? Wouldn`t you think that a company as large and well known as GG would make sure its produce is safe to eat ? You can figure out what the company is ! Needless to say the second box will be added to the dogs food in a day or so !

adam.ca likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It is safe to eat just not palatable for any one who has eaten fresh grown. To keep frozen or otherwise processed foods from forming colonies of lethal or at the very least gut wrenching microbes creates a food that has very little, if any, taste.

adam.ca likes this.
  4. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

frozen peas and corn is the only two I use. other vegs can't be frozen+microwaved and still taste ok.
    put them in a bowl full of water and put it in for ~3mins

side note.
    eating 100% organic has been proven to have almost no effect on health.
    the real effect on health is eating lots of vegetables! organic or not hardly matters. even when considering pesticides, infact often the organic pesticides are MORE of dangerous to your health.

buy frozen peas and corn, as the quick and easy solution, and don't worry to much about eating 100% organic its a marketing scam.

Catdaddy6676 likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

I agree on the organic scam ! But it makes some companies a lot of money ! Same with the grass fed beef ripoff !

adam.ca likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Y'all know that I love to garden, harvest, and cook. I agree that "organic" is pretty much of a marketing tool and although we don't use pesticides or herbicides in our vegetable and herb gardens, I wouldn't say we are "organic." Our stuff just tastes better!
    I freeze excess vegetables, some herbs, and dry other herbs. I share with friends, but never tell them that these are "organic."
    Grass fed beef--we've found it to be tougher than feed lot beef. I figure if the cow eats grass, and then goes to a feed lot to put on weight and get less exercise (less tough muscle structure) I benefit. The cow probably doesn't care.
    I do buy produce from the grocery, things like celery that we can't grow in our climate. I check the country of origin and buy accordingly. Love the pineapple from Costa Rica!

adam.ca likes this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

I don`t use herbicides but I do use the same thing I spray my horses with as a pesticide ! For Texas bugs it is easier and cheaper to keep them off than wait till they eat half your garden ! Grass fed beef does not go to a feedlot,, just straight to the grocery store ! It does not taste better and is just tough and stringy if there is no fat ! You could use it for chewing gum,, just throw a little mint flavor on it and give Wrigley Brothers a run for their money ! I use regular commercial fertilizer along with horse manure since my horses have to eat anyway ! They pay me back this way ! I will buy some products from other countries but I am picky about their sanitation standards ! Problem is between the picking and the grocery store no matter where grown,, you never know what happens ! I mean who would have thought that eating a cantaloupe would kill you as happened a few years back ! I will just grow my own since I have plenty of garden space !

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    marlingardener likes this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have various lists of fruits & vegetables ranked by residual pesticide load. With the fruits & vegies that are high on those lists, i buy organically grown, but otherwise, i buy regular produce.

In Europe, the governments are much stricter about pesticide loading. It will be interesting to see if there are different rates of cancer in US vs Europe.

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Interesting chart mart. You are right, not much of a difference between US & Europe (&'Oceana'). They & we are in the top 12 countries ( of 50) for age controlled cancer rates. Australia's are particularly high. I wonder why..

11. mart

mart Strong Ash

I wondered that myself ! Have no idea !