What Are You Going To Do To Keep Busy This Winter

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by margie12u, Nov 18, 2010.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

What is everyone going to do to keep your selves busy this winter,Do you all just rest from all the work in the summer or have you got projects inside to keep you busy, I am a person that doesn't like to sit around so I will probably do some painting and some crafts, I think we are going to take up our carpet and put down a wooden floor also. I just wondered what people do after all the hard work in the summer. It's worth all the work but it just seems like a big let down when winter starts in.Have a nice evening

Margie :stew2:

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'm planning on working on my house ... we want to re-do the living room and part of the kitchen, as well as paint a few other rooms.

4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Well, I am thinking I deserve a rest after a very busy gardening and landscaping season. Business is coming to it's "dormancy". I actually did work today though, Brrr it was cold!!
    Anyway, I love having the time to properly get ready for Christmas, then I spend more time being the "domestic goddess" of our home. :D
    I love to read and cook, and take good care of my loved ones. We are in the midst of finishing our basement too, so various projects come along with that.
    And then there is the computer... I am hoplessly addicted to MahJong and Solitare.
    And then there's always that snow to shovel...

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I am planning to build a Wardian case.

For those of you not familiar with Wardian cases, they are named after Dr. Nathaniel Bagshaw Ward an avid botanist during the 19th century. His accidental discovery about the benefits of enclosed cases was a breakthrough for botanists. These cases enabled long sea journeys of plant specimens from around the world to Europe. A history about Dr. Ward and his story can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardian_case. Also Dr. Ward's book on the subject, first published in 1842, is in the public domain and can be found at Google books: "On the Growth of Plants in Closely Glazed Cases"

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Winter, all two or three weeks of it, will be spent taking care of cuttings in the potting shed, finish cleaning the barn (long-term project because I really, really don't want to do it!), and tossing compost. My husband will finish mowing the pasture and if we have any energy left, we may remodel a bathroom. Anyone want a very large, very out-dated, very difficult to clean bathtub?

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hibernate until spring!! :D :D

8. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Ok then
    I will be in the heart of summer though.
    I guess this means that I need to get myself into gear and work on my garden. It is a sorry sight at the moment due to unnecessary neglect.

Droopy likes this.
  9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Maybe.... do some updates to my kitchen, paint a few walls, remove some wallpaper... and look for a new job... that should keep me busy.

10. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I just got dwarf sunflower seeds! So I'll be planting them and enjoying their sight as they grow! Yes, they actually do well over here if we plant them in winter - As our winter of Karachi is like the summer of central Europe :)

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

We don't have winter here so please share your winter with me with lots of photos just like the last one!! Hey .... I have been here for more than a year now!! :-D Time sure flies when in the company of wonderful people .... A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU ALL!! :stew1: :stew2: ;) :D :-D

Droopy likes this.
  12. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'll probably starting digging flower beds and getting them ready for Spring planting. Plus I've got to start going through stuff and decide what stays and what goes.

13. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I however am also going to be building either a water clock, or a sun-dial. But I still am yet to decide which one of the 2 will I actually be making - Perhaps deciding which one to build will be what I actually end up doing in winter...
    :D

14. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have kitchen cabinets to paint, my spinning wheel to dismantel and cleanse and some decorative things for the garden to make and paint......now if winter will ever get here I can get started on them. But until that time I am still getting the gardens ready for next spring.

15. featherphobia

featherphobia Seedling

Our winters are not that long either. After I finish bring all my plants inside. Think I'll finish knitting the other sock for the pair I started last winter, ok where did I put the needles?

16. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We've already had one month of winter, and I'm not looking forward to the next four of them. Three if I'm lucky. I've got the girls to keep me busy, four furries that demand exercise and attention, and we should have started to redo some of the rooms but I'll just save it for a year with less activity. :D I don't keep busy - I'm kept busy. :D