What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Frank, Mar 13, 2005.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The mention of antique furniture brings up memories of Home Ec class my senior year in high school.. I really do not understand why but the second semester of Home Ec was the study of furniture styles....Hepplewhite, Queen Anne, Chippendale (and not the male dancers at certain clubs darn it) American Federal, etc. ummmmmmmmm why would they think we would ever need that info. Most of us would be getting hand-me-downs from Mom and Gramma .

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN New Seed

I have a well stocked library. Many horticultural books plus a good selection of reference books, as I do a lot of research. Fairly recently browsing Ebay, I found several disks of old books that have been scanned. These are very interesting and useful in research, especially horticulture and microscopy.

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@toni I love your post!

I just read Killers Of the Flower Moon by David Grann. It's about the beginnings of the FBI ( J Edgar Hoover) and centers on the multiple murders of members of the Osage tribe in OK. It turns out the tribal lands were located over a very lucrative oil field & the Osage were being picked off one by one for their oil rights. Fascinating discusiĆ³n of the start of the FBI. A good read. Upsetting but easy to read. Reads like a mystery even though it is nonfiction.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Now I'm reading The Paris Library. The novel follows the life of a Parisian librarian & jumps back & forth between Paris during WWII and Froid Montana in the 1980's. Bit of a mystery about this librarian & her past. I'm enjoying it.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Young Pine

Catherine cookson, they're about life, romance.
    I've got gardening books and a rose book.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Mighty Oak

Currently I'm reading Civil War Stories by Webb Garrison. It is a compendium of snippets from diaries, official records, after the fact memories, and odd moments. Garrison didn't write the book, but was more of a research/editor.

7. Cayuga Morning

That sounds interesting MG.

I'm reading The Stationery Shop by Marian Kamali. It is set in Tehran during the fall of their democratic government & the rise of the Shah of Iran. It follows the life of a young woman through the upheaval of that society. Pretty interesting.

marlingardener likes this.